Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shooting issues >

shooting issues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting issues

Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting issues

I'm going with Ridge Runner on this. Probably a mirage problem distorting your view. But that shouldn't be a problem anyway, because you SHOULDN"T BE SHOOTING ACROSS A PUBLIC ROADWAY. Don't do it! It's illegal for a reason. Don't be the moron that gets his name on the news for being the one who shot a toddler in its car seat because you were so fixed on the hog in you crosshairs to notice the minivan coming down the road at 60mph.

Secondly, I hate to run up the BS flag, but if you can make 600+ yard shots "easy", then 300 yards is a chip shot. If it's not laser verified, I can't believe it. Your theory about heat rising from the road lifting the bullet is bogus. Take a bullet out to the road, stand right in the middle which should be the hottest part, and drop it. Does it fall or does it rise? Since the bullet creates no lift on its own, the effect of rising air is nil. Besides, even if we'd say that it has some effect on reducing the rate of accelleration toward the ground, at say 2600fps across a 24' wide two lane highway, the bullet spends just 0.0092 seconds over the road. Not enough time to significantly effect trajectory.

Mike

Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

mirage from the heat coming off the road, so you can't be sure of your hold. setup on the far end accross the road.
RR

This is what I was alluding to when I said it's not going to be enough to cause a miss on a hog. I've shot in extremely hot environments where you could actually see the heat waves rising in my line of site and none of it was enough to distort my target for a complete miss. not on a target and certainly not on a hog.

Secondly, I hate to run up the BS flag, but if you can make 600+ yard shots "easy", then 300 yards is a chip shot.
I was thinking the same thing, you would think a 275-375yd shot would be a slam dunk (heat not not) if he's killin them out past 600yds with ease.....BTW didn't he just get this .308?? When the hell was all this long range shooting suppose to be done with it?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree that the heat is not a factor. Possibly mirage as previously stated.
And as for shooting across a public road. In PA the game law states that you CAN shoot across a public road if the path of the bullet is above the flow of traffic.
From the PGC site:
Road Hunting
It is unlawful to (1) hunt from a vehicle; (2) shoot at a turkey on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; (3) shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude any danger to road users; and (4) alight from a vehicle and shoot at a turkey until the shooter is at least 25 yards from the traveled portion of the roadway.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I have to agree that the heat is not a factor. Possibly mirage as previously stated.
And as for shooting across a public road. In PA the game law states that you CAN shoot across a public road if the path of the bullet is above the flow of traffic.
From the PGC site:
Road Hunting
It is unlawful to (1) hunt from a vehicle; (2) shoot at a turkey on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; (3) shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude any danger to road users; and (4) alight from a vehicle and shoot at a turkey until the shooter is at least 25 yards from the traveled portion of the roadway.
So then he'd better make damn sure that that bullet is higher than 13'6" above the road surface when it crosses the road, IF he's hunting in PA. His profile says he lives in Ohio.

Ohio game law states: "It is unlawful to shoot from, on, across, or along a public road or highway." (Ohio 2009-2010 Hunting & Trapping Regulations booklet, Pg. 34, available at www.flipseekllc.com/wildohio2009hunting.html )

It is also illegal in Iowa and Minnesota. I'd wager that at it is illegal in most states. It's also not a very good idea.

Mike

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to mention the fact that in the reloading forum he posted that he just got the rifle. I imagine that he hasn't even had enough time to get to know it yet. No mention of what scope he ended up putting on it or how it's zeroed. I also have to cry foul about hitting at 600-675 yds no problem and then can't make the shot at 275.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot pigs all the time at two thousand yards acrossthree roads and never had a problem. You just need to practce!

If your seriously shooting across the road you need to stop. It's just not worth the risk. Even if it's a seldom traveled road.

I also think you need to get a range finder. I think you will be suprised at how far 600+ yards really is with a rifle. I consistantly make 600 yards shots everytime, when my target is Mother Earth.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think hot air will make the bullet rise. But it can cause mirage, so the targets will appear to move around as you are aiming at them. Hot air is thinner than cold air, so your ballistic coefficient may increase due to hotter air. This would make the bullet retain velocity better, but the effect would be miniscule.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I suspect that hot air is the central issue for this topic (and not from the road).
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 AM

You need to sight in you rifle in "ideal conditions" at a rage were you are confidant. and figure out you're bullets trajectory so you know how much it drops at ranges past you're zero. A mirage will through you off every time until you figure it out. If you're going to keep talking long shots you might want to put out some wind flags at different ranges so you can see what the wind is doing and more importantly so you can see what angle the mirage is "moving." Then go practice and keep notes of how far left, right or high you aim and where you hit. Practice.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

[
Secondly, I hate to run up the BS flag, but if you can make 600+ yard shots "easy", then 300 yards is a chip shot.
I was thinking the same thing, you would think a 275-375yd shot would be a slam dunk (heat not not) if he's killin them out past 600yds with ease.....BTW didn't he just get this .308?? When the hell was all this long range shooting suppose to be done with it?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

[/quote]

Well just to clear 1 thing up i have had a ruger 308 for about 6 years nows. and i only take the shot cause i have my cousin spotting for me and the reason we can make the long shots is cause i have taken tons of time in find a true 1/4 moa load and i know where i can hit at 600 yds. and for you tho's calling B.S we got 1 of the hogs at 771 yds.thursday afternoon. what it accually was was that the scope was wrecked i sent it away to burris and the said there was a malfuntion in it. so i put on a brand new leupold me cuz had and 2 hours later we got the hog at 771. AND YES THAT LASER CHECKED. SO to Clear things up I now have 2 308's a ruger and a reminton 700 spss. and also threw the leuopold scope you don't get that many heat waves and we got 6 hogs thurs.

Quick Reply: shooting issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.