Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shooting issues >

shooting issues

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting issues

Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting issues

i see what you are sayin about the road i can under stand that and i respect what you say but sayin that i can't make the shots it's just assuming things. also assuming that i'm shooting my new gun is too. like i said above i have more then 1 .308 i don't see why you guys assume somethings but oh well also i'm glad that burris has a lifetime garuntee cause i will be gettin a new fixed scope in a few days. but i hope this subject can be dropped i relized what i did wrong by shooting accross the road. and if any of you guys are interested in a lil bit i plan on puttin pics of the new .308 up.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Dude i just said i have a ruger 308 i have not even got to get my new one dialed in yet and just for a shorter subject i didn't say it took 9 shoots to get it dialed exactly in sorry you find it so hard to buy that someone made a good shot and you can't say nice shot man. we clicked the scope up 19 clicks from where it was and was a lil low and left the pig would only run in the hole for about 10-15 sec and come back out. so on the 9th short i hit him right in the chest. i'm sorry that seems so far fetched but yes it does happen and if your wondering i'm loadin up 110 gr. varmiter. bullets with 4064. idk wat the veloicty is cause i can't afford to buy a conograph. but trust me my .308 did it and if that sounds out of the world you can talk to my cuz who this year took 1 at 811 with his 6.5x55 sweedish. and 1 at 711 with his 25-06. and about your B.S flag u can cut it down sorry where i'm from we aint afraid of a long shot.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suspect that hot air is the central issue for this topic (and not from the road).
+1
Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know another thing I find disturbing about this whole thing, is not just that shooting over a public roadway is a stupid idea that displays a distinct lack of judgement. And it's not the fact that I think he's lying about the distance of the shot given the bullet used and the scope adjustment stated (once a spitzer bullet goes sub-sonic, it destabilizes and accuracy disappears). What bothers me more than all that is that it would seem that he's using live animals literally for target practice when he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. He said he needed 9 (NINE) shots to finally kill the one hog. Basically he took nine pot-shots at a live animal hoping to finally connect. This strikes me as the epitomy of slob hunting. The odds of wounding an animal are astounding, and the fact that he finally (after NINE SHOTS) got lucky and connected with a solid hit is just that, nothing but luck. IMO, a truly responsible hunter would be SURE of his rifle, load, trajectory and wind call and confident in his ability to make a clean kill before he'd EVER attempt such a shot... let alone 9 of them. Ridge Runner caught a lot of flack for his 1350 yard shot on a deer, but the fact is that he know PRECISELY what his rifle will do, and as I recall he did fire a spotter to verify his dope, but he shot it at a rock, not at the animal. That's responsible long range hunting. Just blasting rounds down range until you connect is an example of the worst type of slob hunter and gives other hunters a very bad name.

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Great posts RR. For the record taking 9 shots to hit something is not LR shooting in my book. Dialing in and knowing where your bullet is going is LR Hunting. anyone could watch how the dust flies and keep adjusting. Buckey, the best thing for you is to back it off a little and work up some charts and practice on non-live targets. I understand that they are just hogs and they are a nuissance, I know all about nuissance animals, but it's still an animal and you owe it the respect of a good clean kill...... Word of advice....don't even try to argue with RR about this stuff.... he knows more then you or I can prolly ever hope to know...altho I'm working hard to catch up with him haha I only need about 20 more years of experience I think.
-Jake
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: BUCKEYEhunter140

Well just to clear 1 thing up i have had a ruger 308 for about 6 years nows. and i only take the shot cause i have my cousin spotting for me and the reason we can make the long shots is cause i have taken tons of time in find a true 1/4 moa load and i know where i can hit at 600 yds. and for you tho's calling B.S we got 1 of the hogs at 771 yds.thursday afternoon. what it accually was was that the scope was wrecked i sent it away to burris and the said there was a malfuntion in it. so i put on a brand new leupold me cuz had and 2 hours later we got the hog at 771. AND YES THAT LASER CHECKED. SO to Clear things up I now have 2 308's a ruger and a reminton 700 spss. and also threw the leuopold scope you don't get that many heat waves and we got 6 hogs thurs.
Wow, Thursday afternoon you guys shot a pig at 771yds. with the 308 huh??
That sounds awfully familiar to this statement by you.....

well we have places that we shoot alot of coyotes and ground hogs. i took a pig with my 243 at 771 but all i have is a nicon buckmasters 4.5-14 and it was so hard to really see him. But some other things i have come up with if i get a nikon it will only be a monarch. and i can't afford a VX3 but VX2's arn't too bad. and i'm not sure what kind of burris i would want to shoot. so any info on them would be great
The problem is you posted this back on the 11th! andyou claim to have shot a pig at 771yds only it wasa 243. So are we now to believe you guys killed two pigs at the EXACT SAME DISTANCE of 771yards???

So not only am I to believe you have killed two pigs with two different rifles at the exact same distance of 771yards you also want me/us to believe you own two 308 rifles, a Ruger and now your new Remington yet in your very own post you're asking others what's a good scope for a 308 back on the 10th! Not only would you KNOW what a good scope was, you would have stated that you OWN a Ruger .308!

Instead you write this.....

hi guys i'm lookin at gettin a 264 or a 308 very soon. i was wondering what scopes you recomended. i want a fine cross hair and not a bdc recticle. i was lookin at nikon buris or leopold. and what power would you think is good for long range shooting sometimes in the 700 to 900 yd. range. i was thinking like 8-32 or simalar.
So you've killed a pig at 771 yards with a .308 but feel the need to now ASK what a good scope is for your new .308?? huh??

Back to the .308...you say you have a Ruger .308 yet you ask this question in yet ANOTHER post...

well i do reload. and i don't realy want a 270 or a 7 mm but what do you guys have to say about the .308 i mean it must me a good shooting round or why would the military use it
Again, why in the hell would you ask if the .308 isa good shooting round if you already own one AND have killed a pig with it at 771 yards????

BUCKEYEhunter140,

Congratulations on the new Remington .308, I really mean it. I know your excited because you just got a new gun. I get excited every time I get a new one and I've got enough to keep a small gun shop well stocked for years, but please take a second to think about what you write. Thereare folks here who know a whole hell of a lot more about long distance shooting than you or I will ever know. Ask them questions and start gaining information and knowledge about it and perhaps one day you will be able to make that 700+ yard shot and won't have to....well lets just say "fabricate" a story about it.

Deal?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Buckey, my post may have come off a lil wrong. There is a wealth of info on this forum. Most members also will answer questions over private messages as well....in the two or three years or however long its been that I've been on this forum learning I've pretty much stretched my range to hitting at 400 yards everytime. windage, elevation, I learned it all. A lot of what I learned was from the likes of RR and the other shooters on here. They know more than I could hope to know for now. But if you start reading and asking questions and practicing you won't need 9 shots to hit a pig. Be honest and LEARN from the people that know what they are talking about. This site can be a great tool. Set goals for yourself. By the end of the summer I'm hoping to stretch my range to 500 yards. and hopefully 600 on deer for next season....after that I'm gonna invest in a new rifle because I'm really stretching my .30-06 right now. sorry if my last post seemed a lil harsh, but theres some good guys here, and a lot to be learned if one will just listen.
-Jake