Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Revolver Hunting Capability???? >

Revolver Hunting Capability????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver Hunting Capability????

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Revolver Hunting Capability????

I picked up 500 rounds of 45 LC last night in a trade. I don't have a 45 LC so I was thinking about buying one. Would a 45 LC be a good enough elk round at 50 yards? I'm talking factory ammo because I don't reload. I know a 454 casull we be good enough, I just know where there is a smoking deal on a 45LC.

Thanks Bryan
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability!!!!

Not all .45 Long Colt revolvers are created equal. The big Rugers, FAs and possibly others can handle rounds that will rival any .44 magnum. The peacemaker Colts, replicas and lighter frame guns are not intended for such.
my answer - possibly
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking at a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/4" barrel.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

answer is now yes

You may have to research ammo loaded beyond standard factory fare. A Ruger Blackhawk is definitely one of those that rates higher pressures. Check out the 45 Long Colt data in most new loading manuals and you will see there is a category for such guns.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

This would definately be ammo dependant. Like SKB said - some 45LCs are weaker than others and can't handle high pressure loads. Not owning a 45LC myself, I do not know if they make ammo for it that is 'high pressure'. I do know that if you have a modern revolver like the Ruger and if you did handload, the answer to your question would definately be a yes.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would definetly be capable of a 50 yard elk shot. Maybe a little more with real 45 colt loads. (No such thing as a 45 long colt BTW... Just a45 Colt.)

Look to Buffalo Bore for some real stoutly loaded factory ammo.
Heavy .45 Colt +P - 325 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N.(1,325fps/M.E.1,267 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you handload, absolutely. Ruger revolvers are tough guns that can handle "+P" .45 Colt loads nicely. There is published data for .45 Colt loads that easily meet or exceed the performance of .44 Mag loads in these strong revolvers. My Hornady book has high power .45 Colt data that I've used for light loads through my .454 Casull Super Redhawk.

Mike

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info you guys. I'm going to call the guy in the morning and tell him I'll take it. It's a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/4" barrel that has only had a box in a half down the tube for $300 bucks. Sounds like a fair enough deal to me.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Thanks for the info you guys. I'm going to call the guy in the morning and tell him I'll take it. It's a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/4" barrel that has only had a box in a half down the tube for $300 bucks. Sounds like a fair enough deal to me.
That's a good deal, I'm a big fan of the .45 Colt (and Rugers)and with some of the +P offerings out today it's comparable to the .44mag. It even surpasses it in some categories.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

For deer? Yes. For elk? Marginal, and certainly not with standard factory ammunition and at the range you specify.

Factory ammunition IS limited by the availability of weak-framed revolvers that cannot handle the same pressures as a good modern revolver like the Ruger, so if you hunt with it at all - reloading is a must. Even in a rifle, it's still a pistol cartridge, and its trajectory looks more like a mortar than it does a rifle.

Before you attempt to take down an elk, I suggest you try it deer hunting with reloaded ammunition. Let that experience guide you toward taking on an elk or not.

I've hunted deer with a .44 Redhawk and, while it did perform - and it was challenging getting within reasonable range - I was not sufficiently convinced to give up my rifle and do not intend to use it on elk.

Quick Reply: Revolver Hunting Capability????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.