Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Mini 14??? >

Ruger Mini 14???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mini 14???

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Mini 14???

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i myself would go with an AK, L1A1, AR, SKS, etc first though...

my all time favorite would have to be the L1A1 (FAL) its basically an AK in 308...

excluding the AR, accuracy with any of the others isnt bench rest quality...but they arent really designed for it...they are designed to get lead where it needs to be and a good bit of it sent that direction in fairly short order...

the AR can be the most finicky of them all IMO...ive seen and played with enough to see many issues...usually gas adjustments needed etc..no biggie...but can be a headache of the shooter doesnt know about it...
Let's not exaggerate. The L1A1/FAL is NOT an AK in .308. And, as a matter of fact, the FAL isconsiderably more accurate than a Kalashnikov. Nor is a run-of-the-mill AR a "benchrest quality" rifle without some parts swapping in most cases.

In 20+ years of carrying M16A1s, M16A2s,CAR15s,M4s and owning two AR15s, I've NEVER found them "finicky" and in need of "gas adjustments" (huh?). On the other hand, IHAVE seen some gas piston rifles (and machineguns) inop due to problems with the gas systems.

And, having carried them alongside guys armed with L1A1s, G3s, R4s, Galils, and even AKs, the M16/AR15 platform is far more forgiving as a shooterthan any of the former. Its only liability tends to be its smaller caliber bullet. However, I've yet to see an AKthat even in trained hands is capable of reliable, repeat 300+ meter target engagement as is the M16/AR15. The 7.62x39 is a marginal performer beyond200 meters in ANY rifle chambered for it.

From a reliability standpoint, the Mini-14 isn't bad. It's not the 300-meter rifle the AR is, so really doesn't take advantage of the cartridge's capability - making it a short-range rifle, where the 7.62x39 might be more effective, either in an AK or Mini-30.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

homers, your right its not an AK in 308...but similar and a decent way to explain one to someone that never seen or handled one....

out of the box, i guess ive never seen an AR need anything done with the gas tubes, but when you build them or swap parts, you might...but if your doin that you likely got an idea of what your doin lol....ive seen guys though that didnt back a few years when you could build them a fair bit cheaper than you could buy them, and have major issues and not know what to do...and like you said, not benchrest accuracy....but even out of the box, most will shoot much better than a mini!

i love the FAL and AKs...but out of all of them, i got an m4 in the closet and none of the others...the 223 might be the holdback...but, if you can put em where you want em, thats not much of an issue...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now, "kit" ARs are another story in terms of reliability - and DO tend to be "finicky" unless the assembler knows what they're doing and doesn't have a substandard part mixed in with the good. "Major issues and not know what to do"? Yup, I know a couple guys who built their ARs in their garage. They enlighten me with new expletives every time I see them at the range.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol...i hear you homers...thats more of the lines i was thinking on my original post, but reality is ive seen and handled and watched shooters shoot more kits and parts guns than factory guns....i dont know if it was going on everywhere or just kinda local, but for a while, everyone bought uppers and lowers and parts kits and slapped together ARs...saved a good bit of money at the time and didnt take much knowledge or work....thats where the issues came out...but it was always a gas adjustment or a magazine issue of somekind..
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i myself would go with an AK, L1A1, AR, SKS, etc first though...

my all time favorite would have to be the L1A1 (FAL) its basically an AK in 308...
JMHO, but I think the L1A1 is a tad too heavy to be considered a good SHTF gun. They put a carry handle on that sucker for a reason!