Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Vangaurd >

Weatherby Vangaurd

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vangaurd

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Spike

very good rifles. do not let some people say that they made in japan. this is not true. the action is made in japan is the howa 1500 i think and it is a very solid action that is very upgradable and easy to find parts for. they are very accurate and a good price most of the time.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Spike

Default Vanguard

GREAT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.
MINE IS A VGX DULEXS IN 300 WIN MAG, GREAT SHOOTER, AN HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zaboo
very good rifles. do not let some people say that they made in japan. this is not true. the action is made in japan is the howa 1500 i think and it is a very solid action that is very upgradable and easy to find parts for. they are very accurate and a good price most of the time.

from weatherbys web site under FAQ's

Have VanguardsŪ rifles always been built in Japan?

Yes.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Heavy comes to mind. Looked at one last year and it was bulky. Probably a nice rifle but i prefer lighter when carrying all day.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Several months ago, dazzled by the thought of getting that much rifle with the Weatherby name on it, I plunked down just a little over $600 and bought one in .300WSM. The stock was nice, fit was average, blueing was very good. The point I want to mention is the owner of the gun store where I bought it is pretty knowlegeable and with several of the regular customers in the store, he had them all come over and check out the test target that came with the gun. Three holes all overlapped dead center, he said it was the best test target he ever saw. I took it out to the range just to roughly get it sighted in and had three black powder guys come over and ask what I was shooting. They admired the gun and then invited me to check out my target thru their spotting scope. Three shots at 100 yards you could cover with a quarter--needless to say, I'm very impressed with the Vanguards accuracy-----------John
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shootin' buddy !!!

Congratulations on the new piece !
Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

The other point I should mention is at the time I thought, " Hey, this doesn't seem to kick any harder than my 06's". So I took the .300, my #1 06 and my CZ 06, to the range for a recoil comparison. Of the two 06's, the Ruger had a slight edge over the CZ, but honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the 06's and the WSM. I thought that's pretty good, you can get the power, flat shooting capabilities, and the accuracy of the .300 mag with no more recoil than an 06. At least I couldn't tell any difference. I do anticipate the recoil, but I still manage to surprise myself each time they fire so I manage to shoot pretty accurately and what they say is true, you don't even notice the recoil when actually hunting--------John