Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BEST SINGLE SHOT >

BEST SINGLE SHOT

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BEST SINGLE SHOT

Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BEST SINGLE SHOT

The Dakota #10 looks good to me! Also the Ruger #1's.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

In my estimation the key benefit to owing a single shot rifle is the ability to quickly and easily change barrels to match the shooting job on hand. Of the two guns in the original post (H&R and TC) TC gets my vote. I do own an H&R, and do not own a TC, so my advice is based on theory and not first had experience. The one deciding factor is that barrels are sold over the counter for the TC with no need for factory fitting. H&R requires you to send the gun to the factory so the new barrel can be fitted to the gun. With a TC you can, most likely, shoot any of the new super duper magnum niche rounds that seem to come down the pipe every year.

On the other hand, if you have no desire change barrels on this gun or simply order all the ones you want/need at one time, the H&R guns are very nice. I have one in 243 that is minuet of deer accurate.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was buying 1 rifle to do everything, it would be a TC Encore without question. There's literally nothing close to it in regards to versatility. You can honestly have 1 action & do it all. As to class, Dakota or other rifle, factory class-#1 Ruger.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

eightwgt - I had a H&R Handi Rifle in .223 and it was very accurate. But with the wood stock, it was very butt heavy. And it was pretty ugly too. But boy could it shoot.
Replace the numbers .223 with .270, and that's mine to a T. Love my Handi. It takes alot of abuse back in the 'Dacks, and has never let me down, at least 15 hunts, mostly in nasty chit.

I have a .50 cal T/C Encore that is handsdown, the most accurate weapon I've ever owned. Scarry ! Both guns get my nod.