HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   BEST SINGLE SHOT (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/294597-best-single-shot.html)

eightwgt 05-23-2009 03:58 AM

BEST SINGLE SHOT

Whats the best single shot ? I REALLY like the look of the break action H&R series. But also like the TC

Wingbone 05-23-2009 04:34 AM

RE: BEST SINGLE SHOT

I assume you're talking about a rifle. It's tough for a break-open actionto be as accurate as a drop lever or other solid action. That hinge introduces the opportunity for movement. A Ruger #1 would be a better bet for accuracy.

ADV. Hunter 05-23-2009 04:56 AM

Personally for the money I would say that the H&Rs and the NEF products are just as good as a TC. I do not believe they offer them in the caliber assortment that TC does but the ones that I have seen are plenty of gun for hunting. Rossi is right there with these too.

bronko22000 05-23-2009 07:41 AM

eightwgt - I had a H&R Handi Rifle in .223 and it was very accurate. But with the wood stock, it was very butt heavy. And it was pretty ugly too. But boy could it shoot.
Now for sheer elegance, the Ruger #1 if a pretty, well built and accurate rifle. But you will pay for all that. I had and Encore when they first came out and just could not get it to shoot worth a darn.

HEAD0001 05-23-2009 07:54 AM

There area lot of good single shots out there. I have some of the H&R's, and TC's. IMO the H&R is definitely not a TC. The TC isfar superior in quality, and accuracy over the H&R's. NO doubt about that. The TC's cost more, but are well worth it.

The Ruger #1 is a great rifle, however it is slightly lacking the classic lines.

The true classic is the Winchester 1885 or the Sharp's rifle. Now those are the classics that are what you need to look at. Tom.

handloader1 05-23-2009 02:42 PM

Dakota Model 10. Good luck.

bugsNbows 05-23-2009 08:22 PM

Dakota 10 (+1 Handloader 1) or the Miller Low Boy (now a Dakota company).

Hairtrigger 05-24-2009 04:12 AM

I had a break open single shot and sold it when I purchased my first Ruger No.1. I now have several plus a Browning 1885.
For me the falling block action shoots much better than Hinged action.

Maine Shooter 05-24-2009 12:59 PM

I REALLY prefer the #1's

Blackelk 05-25-2009 04:55 AM

RUGER NO 1's one of the most accurate guns for the money you'll ever buy. Only one thing is they tend to have a slower twist rate in most calibers so you should be choosing medium to lighter bullets for optimum accuracy.

Personally I didn't like the TC's feel the rifle shot well enough just didn't feel right in the hands.

The Winchester 1885 is another great accuracy rifle. I have one in a 270 win it's just to pretty to be carrying around horse back.

All around meat gun ruger no.1. I use them in hunting and all my competition shooting. Superb off hand shooting gun for balance one of the best.