Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do 2 similar rifles feel so different???

Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why do 2 similar rifles feel so different???

Ok so I'm really narrowing my next rifle purchase down to the Reminton CDL and the Ruger Hawkeye......both in left hand models.

Weight, length of pull, ect. are all very similar......Just one thing though.......the rifles feel like they fit me totally different.

The Remmy feels "shorter" in the length of pull area. Like my left arm is in too tight of a V when I'm shouldering the gun.
The Hawkeye feels longer. Like my left arm isn't so cramped into a V, but able to hold on to the pistol grip better and help pull the gun into my shoulder.

Why is this????

The CDL has a thick cushy recoil pad where the Hawkeye has a thin rubber pad. It's the only thing I can think that might make a difference.

I really WANT to feel more comfortable with the CDL. I love the looks of the gun and I think it MIGHT be a better platform for improving accuracy and would have more aftermarket accessories available for down the road. I'm mainly thinking of custom stocks BTW...

As much as I want to feel the magic with the CDL, so far the Hawkeyevis still more to my liking. Just seems to shoulder like a well fitted shotgun.

I guess I just want to know........WHY??? Why do 2rifles that are fairly similar feel SO different to handle????
Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do 2 similar rifles feel so different???

IF you like the Remmy better, get IT. You can always add a slip-on pad to increase the LOP a bit, or get another stock with your specified dimensions. Stock designs, dimensions and variations vary greatly from and within specified manufacturers. Another example is Kimber. Their 84's just don't feel right to me, where-as their 8400's do. That's just the way it is. I just think it's best to get what feels right rather than trying to adapt to one that doesn't.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

The CDL's L.O.P is on Remingtons website as 13 1/2". Since that spec isn't listed on Rugers website, I did a little "google-ing" and found a couple articles that showed the Hawkeye at 13 3/4.

Would a 1/4" really make things feel that different or do y'all think it's something else?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 1/4" can make a difference but, more likely, the stock dimensions and design differ enough to "feel different". It can be tough getting it right. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Said it before and will again "fit/feel" are the most important thing when chossing your gun. If memory serves me correct you have a ruger and love it??? You bought an XCR and sold it??? Appears your a ruger man buy the hawkeye and enjoy. Looks mean squat ifthe riflefeels like sh!t and confidence lacks.

Have you tried the Savage Classic yet? I saw in a new catalogue they offer it in LH. Wood, blue, accutrigger...might be worth a touchy/feely?? I'm not a savage guy but if I were buying I'd touch one to know I have excerised all my options.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Said it before and will again "fit/feel" are the most important thing when chossing your gun. If memory serves me correct you have a ruger and love it??? You bought an XCR and sold it??? Appears your a ruger man buy the hawkeye and enjoy. Looks mean squat ifthe riflefeels like sh!t and confidence lacks.

Have you tried the Savage Classic yet? I saw in a new catalogue they offer it in LH. Wood, blue, accutrigger...might be worth a touchy/feely?? I'm not a savage guy but if I were buying I'd touch one to know I have excerised all my options.

Skeeter,
Thanks for the reply. Your replies to my posts always made me say "Dang...that makes sense!"

The Ruger Hawkeye DOES feel better when I shoulder it......and I guess no matter how much I want the CDL to also it'sjust not gonna if the fit isn't there.

I just really wanted to go with a Rem 700 action on this next rifle. Nothing at all against Rugers. Theyre built like a tank.

I wish I had the same level of confidence in "out of the box" accuracy with Ruger as I do Remington though..........
Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

To add a little to some of the good advice you've already been given.....the wrist area of a gun can make a huge difference in perceived "feel". A thick wrist will make the gun feel cumbersome and clubby, while a slimmer wrist is much more comfortable for most folks.....