Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Similar to WHA.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Similar to WHA.

I have read most allof the WHA threads and comments and there are two basic things I see that people don't like about the WHA. One is the tranquilizing of the deer and the other is the fact that these people are taking a beloved 'sport' and turning it into nothing more than a money making competition.

Tell me what you guys thing about the Campbell Outdoor Challenge. On this one it is set up pretty much like Bass Masters where they go out and film a hunt. The deer is scored and given pointsand the film is scored and given points and the interview after the hunt is scored and given points.

http://www.illinoisdeerhunting.com/cwcPages/challengeHome.html
Old 07-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Similar to WHA.

Personnally I don't see anything wrong with it. It looks as though it is a legitimate fair chase hunt. No drugged animals. Equal competition/opportunity for the price you pay. It in no way compares to the WHA that I can see.
I had never heard of it till your post here.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

where they go out and film a hunt.
Admittedly, bigbulls, I didn't peruse your link thoroughly. I scanned it quickly and ascertained that the individuals herein do actually hunt. That provides a distinguishing enough difference as to not attract the wrath from the masses that Farbman did.

Now, to your point... my main problem with the WHA is your second summarization: turning a heritage into a money-making venture and losing themeaning of the tradition. If these participants are filming their endeavors to capture the essence of the hunt, therein lies the difference, to me.

When I get time to look at the site you linked to more carefully, I will.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM

turning a heritage into a money-making venture and losing themeaning of the tradition.

Doesn't this sum up the QDM movement, and account for just about EVERY hunting ranch in the US?? QDM is all about growing big bucks, and big bucks mean "big bucks." Let's then look at any ranch in TX, or anywhere for that matter. Trophy fees.......nothing more than a money making venture, period. OK, I'm done now.

I've seen the Cambell Outdoor Challenge, and while they are at least hunting (and killing, which is part of the hunting equation) the only dude really benefiting from this is John Campbell...( I think it's John, anyway) Just for giggles once, I checked into it. I figured me and Greg could go on and win the thing, but they want to darn much money to enter. He even sells cameras and a starter kit on his website. The dude has figured out how to make money, no doubt.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't this sum up the QDM movement,
To me, QDM has two benefits: growing a healthy herd, of which there are many properties and benefits, and (2) giving the hunter a better chance at obtaining a true trophy, if that's his or her goal.

And, yes... big bucks do mean "big bucks" -- but it changes nothing concerning the essence of the hunt, save the fact that the participant is given better odds at harvesting the trophy of his or her lifetime.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 PM

True enough, and if the participant is willing to assist in a ranch owners money making venture, by all means, have at it. I agree that a healthy deer heard is a benefit of QDM, no question, I still stand by my previous statement that it's MAIN concern is money. You're from the great state of MO, so you know about our recent antler restrictions. I predict this. In a few years, when this has been fully implemented, prices of both resident and non resident deer permits sky rocket. ESPECIALLY non res. Holy moly....sorry dude.....I have done it again, haven't I?? Hijacked another one.....my bad. I'll shut up now.

This gets beat up badly enough as it is....[8D]
Old 07-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Most Outfitter do a QDM as do we at IMB. Our minimum is 115, which is less than most and we still have folks that shoot smaller bucks. As Greg said, the whole idea of QDM is to improve the herd and give the hunters a better chance to shoot a big buck and that is why they come for the most part. Some just come for the comradre of the camp setting.I have worked for this outfitter for about 4 yrs now and it is Big Buck$ Business. We do provide a quality hunt and access to AAA lodging.

BTW- no trophy fees here.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ESPECIALLY non res.
I hope we raise it just for Illinois non-residents... until we can work out a reciprocal agreement and make non-residents affordable for the average guy again. Seems just like a couple years ago, I could hunt Illinois for $110...

'Course, Illinois may not give a dang about hunting our herd over here with the quality of their own. Maybe we could ransom our turkey flock to get our non-resident archery permits back in line! [8D]
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM

Might have to head your way once, deerdust. I'm not against it, I just think that as with most things in life anymore, the purity has been lost by the almighty dollar.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quick Reply: Similar to WHA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.