Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag? >

Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

You could go for any of the above and you could add the Browning BLR in 243 or 308 to the mix as well. Isn't is nice to have so many options.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

For what you want, the 44 in the Marlin would probably suffice as would the 30-30. But if you wanted to get serious about the bigger critters up to the size of elk then a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem would be nice. Bigger, the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. (Mine has taken several black bear cleanly).
Now if you wanted to get really fancy, there is nothing wrong with the Browning BLR. This rifle comes in a variety of calibers to fit just about every need. Plus you it has a detachable magazine (clip) so you can buy extra if needed.
Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Spike

Thanks folks for the input. I do have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and love this gun. I've got see through rings and a scope mounted on it. I'm looking for a pure "open" sighted lever gun that can bounce around and not worry about throwing the scope off. I made a post about a 32 special for a lever gun. Any thoughts on that caliber for my original post?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

That 32 Special would be nice, particularly if you had a bullet mould for it, and handloaded it. A model 94 works well with iron sights. I would put a Williams Foolproof peep on it with the insert removed to give you a "ghost ring". A very fast rig.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Removing the peep insert is an old trick we've been doing for years. Good idea and I didn't realize it was a widespread tehnique.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to vote for the 41mag, especially if you reload?JMO
Old 05-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Below is a picture of my favorite peep sight for a lever action rifle. I have owned several different types, including the ghost ring sight. I like this one the best. I also added a "twilight" peep. This peep allows for better sight in darker conditions. And if you want a Ghost Ring you just screw out the peep. So for me it is the best of both worlds. And I also have a hard time understanding why the Ghost Ring sights are so expensive, especially since they are so simple?? Tom.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Winchester 410 ga. OK,I just like the gun. The other guys' ideas would be better.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to find a good used Winchester model-94 chambered in 30-30 Winchester.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen one in awhile, but I've often carried my M94 "Trapper" in .44 Magnum for exactly the reasons and conditions you cite.

It's too short to stand up in most gun safes, but that's a plus in close quarters.

Quick Reply: Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.