Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help Me Choose My Next Gun! >

Help Me Choose My Next Gun!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Me Choose My Next Gun!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me Choose My Next Gun!

I am actually looking into a single shot break barrel 30-06 for a truck gun but since I dont do a whole lot of big-game rifle hunting at the moment I dont see a huge need for it.

So heres my next question. I see I have limited to a couple options...I either would like to get a double-barrel gun or a semi-auto...

But I am having one tough time deciding between pros and cons of eachother and prices. As far as semi-autos go I know it would be an 11-87...

but for double barrels (which I know get spendy) I am not sure. I saw a "CZ" and a Mossberg for less than $500 I belive but what are the quality like on these two?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

But I am having one tough time deciding between pros and cons of eachother and prices. As far as semi-autos go I know it would be an 11-87...

but for double barrels (which I know get spendy) I am not sure. I saw a "CZ" and a Mossberg for less than $500 I belive but what are the quality like on these two?

Thanks!
The 11-87 is another great shotgun, and I too, will probably pick one up for a deer slug gun with a scope soon...
However, if I had MY choice I would put a rifled slug barrel on my Benelli Super Black Eagle, but for $500, I'll go buy a complete gun...

As far as the two choices of of doubles you mentioned, I can not comment.
The only other note I would like to point out is that, I hope your helping your local gun shop by buying it from them,
instead of helping the big dealerships to save $20-$30.
Sorry, the conglomerates are my pet peeve...

Good-luck and have fun shopping.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

BHB, there are some fine used guns out there. I just picked up a pre 64 Winchester model 70 30/06infantastic condition this past summer w/the vintage scope for $200. 1948 vintage. I have got quite a few great guns this way and with the economic times the way they are there are a lot of good finds out there. You just have to do your research and know what yourlooking at.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Do NOT buy a $500 double shotgun. Decent starts at a grand and up, and a grand doesn't necessarily mean decent.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a great pump shotgun at a good price, I'd strongly consider the Browning BPS in 20 gauge. If I were in the market for a pump shotgun, the BPS is my ONLY choice. I used to own one (in 12 gauge), and sadly regret ever having sold it. Best pump shotgun on the market, IMO.

If I were in the market for a true single shot "truck gun", which by my definition is a utility weapon designed to take a beating literally bouncing around behind the seat of a pickup, my choice would be the New England Firearms Handi-Rifle with a simple, mid-priced, fixed 4x scope on it. Simple, reliable, not much to break and it'll do the job. Now, my choice of cartridge would not be the .30-06 unless there is a serious possibility that it'd be shot at critters bigger than deer. I think I'd opt for a .243 Win, .25-06 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem. For the short quick handling single shot I'd probably lean toward the 7mm-08. It'd even do the job on elk within a reasonable distance, but won't bruise your shoulder too bad with the lightweight single shot.

Mike

Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

any of the 22s as it seems to be the only ammo you can find
Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Get yourself a 17 HMR. You will love it. You can get a gun fairly cheap and put a decent scope on it, and you will have a blast trying to get the best 5 shot groups you can get! And they are absolutely un-beatable for any critter probably 20 lbs and under.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the "cz" and "mossberg" o/u are not worth the money?

I would love to get a New england .243...I think it would make a great truck gun. And do just fine for the black-tails over here...But I would use a new shotgun way more and that is sort of more what I am after...
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

BHB, take a long, hard look at the Stoeger Model 2000. I have one and love it. It's performed flawlessly for the 5 years that I've had it. I haven't been that easy on it either. It's made by Benelli, so it has the Inertia System in it. Just a suggestion. Any more questions let me know.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

WHAT EVER YOU CAN BUY AMMO FOR. OUR GUN STORE HAS A GOOD STOCK OF GUNS BUT YOU WILL WALK OUT WITH NO AMMO.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose My Next Gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.