HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Choose My Next Gun!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me Choose My Next Gun!

If you want a great pump shotgun at a good price, I'd strongly consider the Browning BPS in 20 gauge. If I were in the market for a pump shotgun, the BPS is my ONLY choice. I used to own one (in 12 gauge), and sadly regret ever having sold it. Best pump shotgun on the market, IMO.

If I were in the market for a true single shot "truck gun", which by my definition is a utility weapon designed to take a beating literally bouncing around behind the seat of a pickup, my choice would be the New England Firearms Handi-Rifle with a simple, mid-priced, fixed 4x scope on it. Simple, reliable, not much to break and it'll do the job. Now, my choice of cartridge would not be the .30-06 unless there is a serious possibility that it'd be shot at critters bigger than deer. I think I'd opt for a .243 Win, .25-06 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem. For the short quick handling single shot I'd probably lean toward the 7mm-08. It'd even do the job on elk within a reasonable distance, but won't bruise your shoulder too bad with the lightweight single shot.

Mike