Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 owning a handgun and having a felon in the house. >

owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

A friend of mine is wanting to get a handgun permit and a handgun. She asked if i would go to the store and help her buy one. I asked her why she did not have her boyfriend. She said he has to felony duis on his record. Which got me thinking a felon can not own a gun or carry one. So can she buy one or carry one with him living in the house.
I was in ky and know a felon who was looking at 10 years because he looked at a buddys 9mm and unloaded then reloaded the gun when he handled it. The buddy got arrested and the felon got in trouble for having his fingerprints on the gun.
Of coarse she does not want to get him in trouble. So i told her to call the state police or a lawyer. But thought i would ask you.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

she better be careful , if they live in the same house it could be missinterpretted by law enforcement as a possible straw purchase.

please understand , i'm not saying that it is a straw purchase , just that it could be taken that way by law enforcement
Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

True i did not think of that. She wants to get her conceal carry permit and a gun because she works till like 2 in the morning and goes to college till like 10 at night and lives in indy. I guest they can interpret it how they want but proving it would be another question.
ORIGINAL: whelen36

she better be careful , if they live in the same house it could be missinterpretted by law enforcement as a possible straw purchase.

please understand , i'm not saying that it is a straw purchase , just that it could be taken that way by law enforcement
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend get in a crash speeding and killed two people, he two counts of vehicular manslaughter, a fellony charge on his record and a year in jail. Before he was release his father had to get rid of all his guns so my friend could move back into the house. I don't think you can have one in the same household.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

seems like bullsh*t to me. I am going to tell him to try and get his rights back. not like he shot someone but i doubt it would happen.
ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I had a friend get in a crash speeding and killed two people, he two counts of vehicular manslaughter, a fellony charge on his record and a year in jail. Before he was release his father had to get rid of all his guns so my friend could move back into the house. I don't think you can have one in the same household.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, she can. His disability is not hers!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call the police and find out. She may be able to have one but IF a crime was commited and he got his hands on a gun that was hers she would be liable as well. If she keeps it secure then she would be okay. But if it is her boyfriend you know how that goes. Call the authorities and get the right answer.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Her gun, not his, pretty simple.

I believeI read somewhere that if a felon was to use a gun to protect themself or the family say in a home burglary it wouldn't be viewed as illegal possesion of a firearm by a felon...

Which really would just require common sense of the prosecutor, though that seems to be lacking these days when it comes to criminal charges. Lawyers prosecuting victims etc...

When's the NRA gonna help out these people... white collar, non-violent, non-weapon related felons get their gun rights back?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

well he had two duis not like e shot someone.
ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

well she knowingly lives with a convicted felon, and she's afraid to drive in town?
RR
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You sure it's not more to it than that? DUI's at least here usually aren't felonies. I think they should be as I know several guys that own guns and have had DUI's and they really should probably not be a loud to own guns or do any of the other things felons cant. However, they still aren't felons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.