Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 owning a handgun and having a felon in the house. >

owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: owning a handgun and having a felon in the house.

I was married to a felon for 3 years back in 2000 (wow what a ride that was) anyway we asked her PO and was told as long as the guns were locked up when I was gone and she never had possession of them it was ok for me to have my guns including my ruger redhawk 44
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

My brother had a Felony and his wife had a handgun. He was not sposed to be around them....period. He could not even go the shooting range with us. No way, no how.So, if Five-O walks in, she will be OK but he will be in deep doodoo. The way I look at it, if the guy has 2 DUIs, (as far as we know) he has a drinking problem and a gun in the house is never a good idea. Alcohol+Firearms=Bad Juju.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember hearing ont he news hear not too long ago that they changed the law and made your 3rd or 5th DUI a felony...

Whichever it was I was like, you might as well make it your 20th DUI a felony...you have to work pretty hard at it to get 5 DUI's if you ask me, even 3 is pretty tough, though I know tons of people have 1 or 2. Really after your 1st I think it should light a fire under your arse...

There are plenty of felons who are the made 1 mistake types, way back in the day, etc... who are probably much more responsible gun owning types if they had that option, and many non-felons who really shouldn't own a firearm.

Many laws arepretty goofy, wonder ifany of thesewill change in my lifetime.

I mean who really has a problem with Martha Stewart owning a firearm?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think one time should be a felony if you are clearly impaired. My parents former neighbor is serving 15 years for 2 counts of vehicular manslaughter and DWI because he got drunk and drove. It was his first offense (that he got caught, at least), and it cost two people their lives. It also caused his family to lose their house and his wife divorced him. Maybe if the first offense DWI was more than just a slap on the wrist (which it is in most states) and would result in doing some real time, people like him would seriously reconsider their decision to drive drunk. But I digress...

I think the best advice would be to suggest to her that she formally seek legal council on the issue from someone knowledgeable in your states laws on this topic. Possible resources she might call upon would be the local county/district attorney, the state Attorney General's office, State Police, a local law enforcement officer (preferably of supervisory rank) or even her boyfriends parole officer. Any of them should be able to give her an authoritative answer, or refer her to someone who can.

I also think that good advice for her, since he's not her husband after all, would be to simply have him move out. I would think that this issue is but one detrimental effect of living with a convicted felon. It might be in her best interest to reconsider her relationship altogether with this guy. The fact is that his presence and the presence of a gun could potentially get both parties in trouble. If he winds up getting busted for felon in possession of a weapon that's hers, I would think that unless she can PROVE that she took active steps to prevent him from possessing that weapon, she could be charged for making it available. Again, this is a question for a legal authority in your state.

Mike

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think think 1 dui is to much. But i had wife killed by a drunk driver.
I say the guy or anybody that gets more than 1 dui should be a felon
and not a gun in his house or any other privleges. looks like most states
if he is on parole or probation no gun in house he lives in.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I remember hearing ont he news hear not too long ago that they changed the law and made your 3rd or 5th DUI a felony...

Whichever it was I was like, you might as well make it your 20th DUI a felony...you have to work pretty hard at it to get 5 DUI's if you ask me, even 3 is pretty tough, though I know tons of people have 1 or 2. Really after your 1st I think it should light a fire under your arse...

There are plenty of felons who are the made 1 mistake types, way back in the day, etc... who are probably much more responsible gun owning types if they had that option, and many non-felons who really shouldn't own a firearm.

As a LEO I can assure you there are plenty of people with more than 2 or 3 DUI's. It is not very hard for someone with an alcohol problem to get multiple DUI's and rack them up pretty quick.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I talked with him today it is only one felony a dui from 10 years ago. I do not think he drinks now but still a good point
ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

My brother had a Felony and his wife had a handgun. He was not sposed to be around them....period. He could not even go the shooting range with us. No way, no how.So, if Five-O walks in, she will be OK but he will be in deep doodoo. The way I look at it, if the guy has 2 DUIs, (as far as we know) he has a drinking problem and a gun in the house is never a good idea. Alcohol+Firearms=Bad Juju.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree i knew a guy who got one a week later got another bad thing court date was the same on both. hate to have seen the judges face. I will not drink a beer or drive. I will not drink a single drink and go hunting. Heck i will not drink more then a beer or to and go hunting the next day.
ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

As a LEO I can assure you there are plenty of people with more than 2 or 3 DUI's. It is not very hard for someone with an alcohol problem to get multiple DUI's and rack them up pretty quick.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

I agree i knew a guy who got one a week later got another bad thing court date was the same on both.
Someone I work with got a DUI, and exactly two weeks later she got another one. I think it was the same arresting officer, but i can't be sure.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Spike

The police start to recognize vehicles. Habitual offenders, be it domestic disputes or drunk driving or drug possession tend to become known.

And, as far as the firearm...legally it might be hers. Up until the police decide there's a reason to talk to him. The officers involved set the rules of the game long before the prosecutor, and their statements become reality. They can decide he was "in possession" of it because it was in the same room in a locked safe, or upstairs in an unlocked cabinet, or that he failed to cooperate. He's on the radar now, and it will come down to how reasonable the police he deals with are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.