Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ideal bullet performance on game? >

Ideal bullet performance on game?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ideal bullet performance on game?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ideal bullet performance on game?

I think 70-80% is ideal for deer. Puts them on their arse, and holds together good enough to take a angled shot. Elk or bear might need tougher bullets, but they dont live in my woods.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

I want two holes in my deer, elk, moose, etc. However, there is no reason to "kill" the ground on the far side.

The best bullets hit and expand violently creating a large wound cavity while driving deeply through the animal at any angle then exiting and falling to the ground.

That said, it is difficult to accomplish with some "smallish" calibers. My 7mm Remington Magnum does this with virtually every bullet type (with the exception of the failsafe, etc bullets).

The best performance, IMO comes from Nosler's Partition bullet (and it works for any animal).

2nd place: Winchester's Supreme CT Ballistic Silvertip...the redesigned Nosler Ballistic-tip.

For really large animals, I like Swift's A-frame.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me it depends on the animal, I suppose. In regards todeer sized game i prefer expansion or wound channel, however because of their body structure penetration is less of concern. When it comes to larger then deer i prefer a controlled expansion bullet that will penetrate as deep as possible while still opening up a wound channel for a bloodtrail. Luckily the larger structure of an elk or moose offers more resistance then a deer to intiate expansion to createthe wound channel. In terms of 1 or 2 holes it really doesn't matter IME, deflate the lungs or interupt the heart &you'll find your animal in a short manner.

Deer for me = NBT or similar
Larger then deer = Barnes TSX, NP, etc

looking for shades of the two worlds the bonded bullets like NAB,NP, etc. Though realize that the effects on the different game may vary!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

100% like the Nosler Partition......controlled expansion with deep penetration; except for game like rhino & elephant!! No expansion, deep penetration in a straight path for pachyderms.