Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Holy shot!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Holy shot!

The other day i had a dream that someone broke into my garage and i not them with bird shot and it did not do the job. So I took it as a sub concussion message to go buy some buckshot. So i go to gander mountain to pick up some i figured about 15 or 20 rounds would make me good to go. They were 7.99 for a box of 5 Remington. Is that high or just normally now seems way high to me. Also a friend is looking for some good priced 5.56 in bulk any one know of a good place to buy right now be it online or what ever.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holy SH*tz

$8/box of 5 is about the going rate for 3" buck shot right now. Good luck in finding the bulk ammo. Most places are back ordered as far as a few months.
If you have any good sized gun shows in your area, that would be one place to look. Word of caution on the gun shows, get there early!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington buckshot is higher around here than Winchester or Federal, by about $2 a box. For defensive use, I only use the 2 3/4" buckshot. At 10 feet there really is no need for a 3" shell, since if the 2 3/4" 00 Buck doesn't put him on the ground, I doubt the 3" shell will do any better.

Mike

Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

The other day i had a dream that someone broke into my garage and i not them with bird shot and it did not do the job. So I took it as a sub concussion message to go buy some buckshot. So i go to gander mountain to pick up some i figured about 15 or 20 rounds would make me good to go. They were 7.99 for a box of 5 Remington. Is that high or just normally now seems way high to me. Also a friend is looking for some good priced 5.56 in bulk any one know of a good place to buy right now be it online or what ever.
Hey man,
I have a 25 count box of #3 steel if interested for a good price. Even better than Buck at close range.
[email protected]
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see you go out and get some buckshot. $7.99 is a bit high, but with ammo availability it is not an insane price.
Do not get the #3 steel shot, it leaves a very nasty superficial wound but does not reliably penetrate enough to be a stopper.
If you can find it the Federal low recoil 2.75" 00 buckshot is a great round......should run you around $4-$6 for a box of 5.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd use the Remington Sluggers or Winchester XX Foster slugs @ $2.99 a box of five. It may be just me but if god forbid I ever have to shoot someone I'd rather do it with a slug than shot.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

The truth of the matter is, in the house, you are better off with birdshot, # 7 1/2 or # 8, at close range " unless you live in a mansion", birdshot does a devistating job on human flesh, within ten feet it will make a two inch hole in someone, also, you dont have to worry about killing a loved one in the next room due to over penitration. I do know of the dreams you had, mine is, I had to shoot someone with my 45, I saw the bullet bounce off the guys chest, luckily, I woke up befor he got me!.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: devil dog

The truth of the matter is, in the house, you are better off with birdshot, # 7 1/2 or # 8, at close range " unless you live in a mansion", birdshot does a devistating job on human flesh, within ten feet it will make a two inch hole in someone, also, you dont have to worry about killing a loved one in the next room due to over penitration. I do know of the dreams you had, mine is, I had to shoot someone with my 45, I saw the bullet bounce off the guys chest, luckily, I woke up befor he got me!.
Giving advice on what round to use on game animals, or what rifle to use for deer, etc is one thing, but to put it quite bluntly, if you don't know what you are talking about, do not post bad information. You just might get someone killed for listening to your bad advice.

It has already been established by a myriad of tests that birdshot is not an effective stopper. It does not meet the FBI's 12 inch penetration requirement and never will.
Birdshot because of its small size does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. The permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there is no reason for it to be an effective wound. Number 6 lead birdshot when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in ballistic gelatin. Most of that shot however only penetrates 4 inches.
Wow 4-6 inches at most with number 6 birdshot, and you are recommending number 7.5 or even number 8 which is bound to penetrate even less!

Bottom line, birdshot is for birds that is why it is called birdshot. If you are using your shotgun for self defense load it with #1 buckshot or larger, know your target and what is beyond.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for saving me the typing hurricane!!

theres alot of articles and shows (personally seen a show "proving buckshot is bad in a house because it penetrates walls) and commercials (cough...cough JUDGE...COUGH) that are kinda "pushing" the whole birdshot idea...

sure on a piece of paper or cardboard them birdshot patterns look absolutely devistating at a couple feet...but them pellets just dont have the energy to get the job done. if you are shooting someone, you should be doing so to STOP THE THREAT. birdshot simply is not going to reliably stop the threat.

at 15 yards from your typical "combat" shotgun with an 18-22" barrel and a cylinder choke, your regular ole 9 pellet 00 buck load is typically inside the human sillohete target. looking around the house, i have MAYBE 1 area that is 15yds..and id have to be at one wall and the threat at the other lol...realistically, its going to be closer and the pattern will be tighter. ive never shot someone with 00 buck, but i cant imagine them pellets having a whole ton of energy IF they would even exit...and looking at your typical house layout, for shot to enter another room, its got atleast 2 sheets of dry wall to make it through...plus other stuff like furniture, studs, etc etc...and many shot angles would put the shot through much more dry wall than it will ever make it through...sure on TV they showed it going through so many sheets of it...but there were no studs..there were no pictures on the wall or dressers or TV stands or couches etc etc etc...yes, over penetration is something that needs considered and could be an issue, but "they" are making it seem like much more of an issue than it really is...

im not recommending anything....just some things to think about...different houses are different...different loads do different things...different guns pattern differently...different shooters are capable of different things and have different training levels...just things to think about...

people think shotguns with shot or buckshot are the ultimate home defense weapon.....truth of the matter is at most shooting distances, usually 21ft or less, you cannot simply pull the trigger on a shotgun and have it do its job of stopping the threat. yes, if you train in point shooting you can put a very good shot on a threat...if you AIM you can put your load where you want it to go...but thats the thing...its gotta be aimed at that range...

different strokes for different folks...

different training and knowledge and such will give different shooters different trains of thought...someone that can point shoot a pistol well is likely to just reach for the pistol...yes you can also point shoot a shotgun, but length and size and akward positions could make that difficult....the truth is most people dont really think about stuff like that or train and practice real life scenerios...

heck, most dont even consider what to load up with....