Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buying a pistol.... >

buying a pistol....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying a pistol....

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default buying a pistol....

can you buy a pistol out of state?? just curious i'll be working out of state for the summer and after my first check or 2 comes i'd like to go shopping and buy a pistol....

just dont know how it works....id assume i can....figured i'd ask before i tried lol...
Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: buying a pistol....

Nope.I tried it already.You can buy long guns out of state but not handguns.I live in TN and go to a gun shop across the line in KY and buy all the time.I buy long guns from him all the time,but pistols has to be transfered from FFL to FFL.So I pay him for it and then i follow him down across the state line to a pawn shop that is a FFl and do the transfer and background check there.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that you can't buy a pistol in Iowa if you are not a resident. In Iowa we have to get a "Permit to Purchase" a handgun, which involves going to you local Sheriff's office in your county of residence, filling out what is basically a Form 4473. You also have to prove residency in the county you're applying in. Turn around time is about 3-5 business days before you get your permit in the mail, which is valid for one year from the date of issuance. So if you were a non-resident, you would not qualify. Now I do know that as an Iowa resident I can buy long guns in any of the bordering states, and that any resident of a bordering state can buy long guns in Iowa. Probably the best way to get a definite answer would be to contact your state police or state attorney general and ask them, but I suspect the answer will be "no".

Mike

Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Acquisition and Possession of Firearms
[/align]
Eligibility to Purchase or Own a Firearm
In general, if you are twenty-one years of age or older, you can purchase a firearm from a federally licensed dealer licensed to sell in your state. For the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, you need to be eighteen years or older and may purchase in any state.
However, the following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:
[ul][*]Those convicted of crimes punishable by IMPRISONMENT for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less[*]Fugitives from justice[*]Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs[*]Those deemed legally as incompetent and those committed to mental institutions[*]Illegal aliens[*]Citizens who have renounced their citizenship[*]Those persons dishonorably discharged from the armed services[*]Persons less than eighteen years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle[*]Persons less than twenty-one years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle[*]Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, STALKING, or threatening an intimate partner[*]Persons convicted in any court of a MISDEMEANOR crime of domestic violence [/ul]
Under limited conditions, exceptions may be granted by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, or through a PARDON, restoration of rights, or setting aside of a CONVICTION

Hate pasteing but why guess about it . This is Federal only ,then you can also have the state and local ordinances to contend with .

[/align]
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO you CANNOT buy handguns legally through firearm dealers holding an FFL if you reside in an different state.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....there goes that idea....

thats why i asked....i was afraid of that...