Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester M70 Review >

Winchester M70 Review

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester M70 Review

Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winchester M70 Review

You guys know of any articles or internet forum posts regarding the performance of the new Winchester M70 made by FNH?

I would love to see some of the results of shooting it in terms of accuracy and function.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester M70 Review

American Hunter did a review.Overall it looked pretty good but the groups were all over 2" with some over 3".They liked the action but the wood was only so-so.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any idea which issue?

Any body else out there have anything for me?

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 AM

statjunk- i search around all over as well and couldn't find anything. i think they are still too new, most guns shops i know of don't even carry them yet and i've checked all the way from cabelas(rogers, mn) to little ma and pop type stores. if i find any reviews i'll let you know.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Issue # 241 (November 2008, page 66-73) in Rifle magazine. John Haviland did a rather extensive write-up. I've got the mag. If you need it I can photocopy the article and send it to you. Looks like his test groups were quite decent. Let me know.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks 03Mossy.

Thanks for the offer bugs. I actually got the magazine from a buddy of mine today. Drove all the way across town to get it. The article doesn't mention much about the accuracy. All it does is supply a table at the bottom that provides the averages, min and max. It doesn't say how many five shot groups doesn't provide the first three shot groups in each sample. Depending on what is going on there I could see 2" five shot groups being ok especially with factory ammo. It doesn't say how long he let the barrel cool between shots, doesn't say the temperature for the day, doesn't say wind conditions etc... Most importantly I'd want to know what the first three shots did in each group and how long he let the barrel cool. It also makes no mention of cleaning regiment.

I have a Ruger in 300WM that will drill two shots one on top of the other and no reasonable amount of cooling will allow it to shoot like that again, for the day It will open up to 1"-1.5" after those first two shots. That is for everything except Speer SPBT in 180gr.

If anyone can find some additional info out there I sure would like to see it.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bugs I'd be interested to read that review myself.Please email it to me when you get a chance.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still looking for some reviews. Either forums where others have shot them for accuracy or the such.

Anybody have anything?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bnb was kind enough to send me a copy of the review.This one shot much better than the one AH tested.I always wanted one.Money's a little tight right now but some day I'd like to get one.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a side note...The March 10 2009 issue of Shotgun News has an ad from CDNN Sports, Abilene, TX. advertising new FN barreled actions in 300 WSM for $499.99 and short actions complete for $349.99. Claw extractors, and advertised as being "Manufactured In Winchester Factory". "Built at Winchester in Hartford, CT". Short actions are .308 dia. bolt face. No barrels with the short actions, naturally. Action only. SA comes either with DBM or drop floorplate bottom metal. Think I may order.....

Quick Reply: Winchester M70 Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.