Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester M70 Review >

Winchester M70 Review

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester M70 Review

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester M70 Review

I'm just having such a hard time believing that this rifle has been on the market for almost a year and no one has posted the results of their range time! WTF!

I handled one at Cabelas in 270 Win and it was smooth. Balanced perfectly and just had amazing fit and finish. Not to mention I love the Winchester CRF action and safety. They allowed me to pull the trigger twice and it was also top notch. Just want to know what kind of accuracy to expect. I've been waiting for this rifle for years.

I ordered mine in .308 and they are going to start making them in mid June.

Until then I'm on the hunt for some stats.

Tom
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a new Featherweight Deluxe 270 on gunbroker Stat. If it were 7-08 I woulda already bought it. I think Im gnna take the plunge myself when they come out as well. Just really dont have any idea where to even order one right now.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your local gun dealer should be able to order it.

Tom
Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom

I have been waiting as well to read some reviews on those rifles as well. I'm going to be in the market this summer for a 7mm-08, and I think that would be a grrreat purchase.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first rifle I purchased was a Winchester Heavy Varmit in .308. That was something like 15 years ago. It's an amazing shooter. With Federal box ammo it shoots just over a ragged hole. Like 1.5 ragged holes. However, it weights about 13lbs. Over the years I've wanted another Winchester rifle also in .308 but this time something lighter and easier to hunt with. I'd go check out a couple of rifles and the quality was so bad I just couldn't do it. The stocks felt like they should have sold at Toys R Us. So I waited. Now unquestionably Winchester is back in the saddle with FNH. At least in terms of fit and finish and the new trigger is arguable the best factory trigger I've ever handled. I just want to know if the rifles shoot worth a darn.

The wait is killing me.

Tom
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stat I cant imagine the new 70's being anything short of tack drivers. I think FN has a fine history of building guns. Ive never owned a Winchester rifle but I am like you on the being smitten part. I always wanted a 70 Featherweight and figured Id never get the chance so its now or never. The thing for me is it was a huge deal to actually build someone build a plant in the United States to produce guns in this day and age. Im selling one of my 700's to finance this one as well..lol.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone heard anything about the new Mod 70 range reports or the such?

Still looking for some info. Also heard what I will deem a rumor until I confirm it one way or the other. I heard that the actions are bedded into the bell and carlson stock with a soft squishy rubber. There by decreasing accuracy.

I would love to hear from someone that owns a new Mod 70 to find out if that is true.

Thanks

Tom

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard any range reports or first hand accounts with them yet myself either.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM

The winchester 70-
There are few reports because there isn't any to be had as far as dealers are concerned.
There have been the occasional feather weight and sporter in the deluxe flavor we could get ahold of, but not too many sold.

If you go to the Winchester web site, they have the shot show video of 'a day at the range with the new Model 70'-
The video shows the manufactureing process, range time, opinions of all the mostastute gun writers... yuk!

Ever wonder why gun writers never say anythingbad about anything?

The two mdl.70 fw we sold were very pretty guns, nice work and attention to detail.

Our customers have not been back in with range reports yet, we'll keep you posted.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would a written review be so important for you? I have yet to see a written review of a firearm that wasn't biased in one way or another. The big magazines surely won't write anything really negative about anything because they are afraid to get sued. The on-line gun experts are little better since they let their opinions get swayed by many things including free guns and such from various manufacturers. They will blast a product as being junk just because the competitors gave him more freebies. The best reviewer is yourself. If you like the gun get it and if you don't like how it performs afterwards, then sell it.

Quick Reply: Winchester M70 Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.