Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood or Synthetic Stock? >

Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Im looking in to buying the new Browning X-Bolt. Only question now is whether to go with the basic wood, hunter model for 650, or to buy the synthetic/stainless model for 680. I like the looks of the wood better, however i like the feel of the dura-touch coating and the durability of synthetic and stainless. Just wondering what everyone else's opinions are. Im goin with the 25-06 caliber.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wood or Synthetic Stock?

For hunting rifles,I only buy synthetic stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could always buy one of each! Think of one as a fair weather gun and the other as the bad weather gun!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find that the stainless X-bolt tops my list of some of the ugliest rifles made today with all of that brite silver aluminum they use for the mag well, rear tang, and trigger guard. I don't much like the black aluminum around the wood stocked hunter model either but at least it matches the color of the barrel.

Personally I would either get the hunter or bluedsynthetic with mypreferance being the blued synthetic. It looks much much cleaner to me being that the entire rifle is black.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Synthetic and stainless. It may not look the best, but they sould be the most durable.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I myself like the look of a stock. However, if I already had a couple in wood, and was maybe buying this one as a, say, niche gun, I could see myself buying a synthetic stainless. First or only gun though? I would buy wood.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

For hunting rifles,I only buy wood stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.
stubblejumper...Am I missing something, or do you have this reversed...??.....
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

For hunting rifles,I only buy wood stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.
stubblejumper...Am I missing something, or do you have this reversed...??.....
+1 .I recently got a Hawkeye in SS/Blk syn stock.Not as warm'n pretty as walnut but it'll take anything nature throws at it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really would depend on what you already have.
I have both and my synthetic stainless ruger is my rough hunt gun the wood and blue is just so pretty I can't stand the thought of scratching it much. Don't get me wrong it will be used and scratched just not like the other.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the opinions so far. This is going to be basically my first bolt rifle. I own an old model 94 lever right now and am just looking to get something to deer and coyote hunt with here inwisconsin, basically a new all around gun to use. I usually take decent care of my guns so im leaning towards the wood, but still am not sure, i just think that the synthetic/stainless would be a better deal for only 30 dollars more. To me looks matter somewhat, but not as much as fuctionality.

Quick Reply: Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.