Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood or Synthetic Stock? >

Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Well said stubblejumper but look where you live. Down here we can actually have both in same package.
I hunt in rain,sleet,snow and temperatures from 80F during August sheep season to -30F in November.If you are lucky enough to not have to hunt in rain,sleet,wet snow or in changing humidity,then a synthetic stock is of little advantage to you.However I have never hunted in such a place myself.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own quite a few rifles and NONE are synthetic. I like the weight, feel and most of all theLOOKS of a fine, wood rifle stock. I have yet to see a synthetic stock that appeals to me. And don't believe all the hype about how wood stock will change with weather conditions. That's not a concern if you purchase a quality firearm.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree.... There is just something about wood and a blued barrel that can't be described. Wood gives a gun its own unique personality. Each bump, ding, scratch, scrape, tells a story. I know a duck hunter who has this sorry old 1956 Remington 870 12GA that is a little rust pitted and stock is all weathered and beatup.But the guy still knocks ducks out of the air every time with it! [8D]

Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

And don't believe all the hype about how wood stock will change with weather conditions. That's not a concern if you purchase a quality firearm. [align=right]
[/align]
What would you call a quality firearm?I have seen for myself the change in point of impact with a Remington 700bdl,a Weatherby MarkV,and an A-Bolt.It is a fact that wood absorbs moisture in wet conditions,and it usually swells or warps as a resultYou can reduce this somewhat,but you can't totally eliminate this.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a matter of fact, you CAN keep walnut from adsorbing moisture. All it takes is attention to detail and good quality finish. The kicker is the moisture level already in the wood when it was finished/sealed. When I make stocks from blanks, I make SURE the moisture content is less than 5%. I realize you've had bad luck with stocks but when properly free floated, bedded, dried before finishing, and pillar or bedding block, you CAN hunt with wood from now on without having to worry about the stock causing the barrel to walk. I have several customers/friends in Canada AND Alaska that swear by my work and havn't had ANY problems yet with walnut stocked rifles I built for them. Of course you might be talking about factory rifle stocks only.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a matter of fact, you CAN keep walnut from adsorbing moisture.
You can greatly reduce the amount of moisture that a walnut stock will absorb,but unless you can seal it 100% and keep it sealed 100%,it will absorb moisture.Any nick scratch or ding will break that seal and let moisture in to the stock.

I realize you've had bad luck with stocks but when properly free floated, bedded, dried before finishing, and pillar or bedding block, you CAN hunt with wood from now on without having to worry about the stock causing the barrel to walk.
Why would you bother with pillar bedding,bedding blocks or free floating if you can keep walnut from absorbing moisture?If you can be 100% effective at preventing the walnut from absorbing moisture and either swelling or warping,these procedures are totally unnecessary.I think that you will agree that if you really want the prettiest rifle,full length bedding without the unsightly free floating gap looks best.In reality,these procedures are usually carried out to try to prevent a change in the point of impact when a stock absorbs moisture.

Of course you might be talking about factory rifle stocks only.
My response was to the previous posters statement about "quality" firearms,and the rifles that I mentioned were in fact factory rifles.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:00 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

As a matter of fact, you CAN keep walnut from adsorbing moisture. All it takes is attention to detail and good quality finish. The kicker is the moisture level already in the wood when it was finished/sealed. When I make stocks from blanks, I make SURE the moisture content is less than 5%. I realize you've had bad luck with stocks but when properly free floated, bedded, dried before finishing, and pillar or bedding block, you CAN hunt with wood from now on without having to worry about the stock causing the barrel to walk. I have several customers/friends in Canada AND Alaska that swear by my work and havn't had ANY problems yet with walnut stocked rifles I built for them. Of course you might be talking about factory rifle stocks only.
I agree 100%, this is something I think stock makers and other wood workers don't follow and should.

I do the same with hickory bows I am making. I keep near my wood stove and can get moisture down to 9% or less while building (5% for walnut and hickory for a longbow is way too dry for me, it can explode) but for gunstocks, be pefect. Then seal it several times with poly or whatever. Its been proven time and time again with trad bows, you can make a whitewood bow a real shooter if you build it in dry climate and seal it in dry climate. A moisture meter seems handy. I don't have one, but thinking about it. And I have seen several times that they don't get that moisture back if you do it right.

I have even seen some do it so well, the bow became brittle and blew up in the summer, which is strange with hickory and walnut.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM

Well, thanks for all of the input. I think i am going to end up buying the synthetic/stainless just because it will last better. I dont plan on sitting it in a gun cabinet and looking at it so i guess the pretty wood stock really isn't all that important. Now just to close the deal.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM

I bought a Rem Model 700 in .270 for this season.Best buy I've made in a long time.It's an all weather gun,very accurate,and it is so much easier to carry all day because it's lighter than I'm used to(I also use a Rem 7400 in 30'06 and although I really like the gun it's as heavy as a cannon).
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM

I'll admit that wood looks and feels better but maybe because I am a military guy I just get the synthetic. Who needs pretty when the point is to go bang and kill, especially when your hiking it through rough terrain? I know not everyone goes into rough terrain but I am also an all purpose type of guy. That's also why I go stainless.

Quick Reply: Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.