HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Wood or Synthetic Stock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/285374-wood-synthetic-stock.html)

Z. Sherman 02-04-2009 05:49 PM

Wood or Synthetic Stock?

Im looking in to buying the new Browning X-Bolt. Only question now is whether to go with the basic wood, hunter model for 650, or to buy the synthetic/stainless model for 680. I like the looks of the wood better, however i like the feel of the dura-touch coating and the durability of synthetic and stainless. Just wondering what everyone else's opinions are. Im goin with the 25-06 caliber.

stubblejumper 02-04-2009 05:56 PM

RE: Wood or Synthetic Stock?

For hunting rifles,I only buy synthetic stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.

VAhuntr 02-04-2009 05:57 PM

You could always buy one of each!;) Think of one as a fair weather gun and the other as the bad weather gun!

bigbulls 02-04-2009 06:14 PM

I find that the stainless X-bolt tops my list of some of the ugliest rifles made today with all of that brite silver aluminum they use for the mag well, rear tang, and trigger guard. I don't much like the black aluminum around the wood stocked hunter model either but at least it matches the color of the barrel.

Personally I would either get the hunter or bluedsynthetic with mypreferance being the blued synthetic. It looks much much cleaner to me being that the entire rifle is black.

country1 02-04-2009 06:21 PM

Synthetic and stainless. It may not look the best, but they sould be the most durable.

rimjob_rob 02-04-2009 06:29 PM

I myself like the look of a stock. However, if I already had a couple in wood, and was maybe buying this one as a, say, niche gun, I could see myself buying a synthetic stainless. First or only gun though? I would buy wood.

Pygmy 02-05-2009 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

For hunting rifles,I only buy wood stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.
stubblejumper...Am I missing something, or do you have this reversed...??..:D...

Bernie P. 02-05-2009 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

For hunting rifles,I only buy wood stocks,as they are much more stable when exposed to changes in humidity.
stubblejumper...Am I missing something, or do you have this reversed...??..:D...
+1 :).I recently got a Hawkeye in SS/Blk syn stock.Not as warm'n pretty as walnut but it'll take anything nature throws at it.

RugerM77.270 02-05-2009 08:50 AM

It really would depend on what you already have.
I have both and my synthetic stainless ruger is my rough hunt gun the wood and blue is just so pretty I can't stand the thought of scratching it much. Don't get me wrong it will be used and scratched just not like the other.

Z. Sherman 02-05-2009 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the opinions so far. This is going to be basically my first bolt rifle. I own an old model 94 lever right now and am just looking to get something to deer and coyote hunt with here inwisconsin, basically a new all around gun to use. I usually take decent care of my guns so im leaning towards the wood, but still am not sure, i just think that the synthetic/stainless would be a better deal for only 30 dollars more. To me looks matter somewhat, but not as much as fuctionality.