Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mauser stock help >

mauser stock help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mauser stock help

Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 AM

Default mauser stock help

I was givien a rifle a couple years ago when my grandad past away .I know it has a model 98 mauser action and possiblely a custom barrel not real sure the barrel is pretty heavy not a bull but maybe a medium contour. dont realy no there is no markings or stamps on the barrel.But over the years of abuse from my uncles no giving a da/m it is starting to look alittle ruff. I would just put it in the safe for good keeping but i think gramps would roll over if he new a good gun of his wasnt killing stuff,plus it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 groups with factory ammo all day. trying to figure out what kind of stock i will need to replace the old one.Will I just need one for a 98 mauser action.If so any suggestion on a aftermarket stock maybe a varmint style.thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM

Default RE: mauser stock help

If you google rifle stocks you'll find dozens of companys that offer after market stocks for a 98.

Synthetic/Laminate/Wood and in all types of different styles. Prices start at around 150 for basic black synthetic and go up from there.... WAY up.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can go to Midwayusa.com and check out the barrel contour chart and compare measurements to see what barrel channel you'll need. You may still need to open up the channel on the stock for proper fit.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a nice gun.IMO I think it might be worth having a good custom stock maker do it justice with a piece of nicely figured walnut.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

mt boy- i am in kinda the same situation as you are. i am rebuilding a old weatherby (1954) with a FN mauser action, with a busted stock.i have always preferd sythetic but i figured on a classic gun like this it needs to wear Walnut. check out this place- rifle-stocks.com, you have to finish the stock yourself, or i should sayGET to finish it yourself. you could also think about refinishing the current stock.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:08 AM

Try Brownwell's or if you are into finishing your own stock try Richards Microfit Gunstocks. I've done one for a Husqvarna FN 98 and I'm doing one for a M96 in 6.5X55 for coyotes.