Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 vs Savage 110 >

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Our local Wal-Mart has a Remington Model 700 in a .270 caliber onsale for $300. It's the synthetic stock and a dull finish I guess you'd call it matte finish on the barrel. That's really tempting to me. I want something accurate. Accuracy is the most important think for me. Now I don't know that I need another gun and don't have a extra $300 to waste right now but this seems like a heck of a deal. Is it? I figure if I put a cheap scope on it and rings and stuff I'm looking at at least $450 by then.

Now the other gun they have that caught my attention is a Savage model 110. It has the accu trigger and I know several guys that have Savages that love them. Now this one is in a 30-06. It also has a scope on it but I'm sure it's a cheap crappy scope but I figure it could get my by until I could upgrade. This gun is $377 but it has the scope on it like I said. The other advantage to the 30-06 is my Browning BAR is a 30-06 so I already have several boxes of bullets to use and I could share bullets between the two.

Between these two which is a better deal and which would be more accurate? Or should I just stick with my Browning BAR even though it doesn't shoot as tight of groups as I want? What kind of groups can I expect from either of the above guns.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

I would go with the Savage 110. Savage's have a reputation for being accurate right out of the box. Their accu trigger is an awesome improvement over their traditional triggers, and a whole bunch of other competitors triggers as well. The scope is going to be cheap, but it will probably get you through a season or two.
Bottom line in my opinion is if you want a shooter buy the Savage, if you want to build a shooter buy the Remington and have some work done to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Group sizes depend on lots of things....the gun itself, the ammo the gun likes best, and most maybe most important, the one behind the trigger. You won't know for sure until you go thru the paces. Both rifles have a decent reputation for good accuracy.
The second thing is.....if you have a 30-06 now, buying another one just doesn't seem logical to me. Have you tried different brands of ammo in it to see what it wants to eat? If not,give that a try. It may surprise you. If you have already done that, and are still dissatisfied with the groups you get, it may make more sense to send it down the road and get something else. Do you handload? Handloading for a particular rifle can be the difference between night and day when it comes to getting those tiny groups you want. In any regard, don't settle for cheap optics. If you are shooting thru a POS, you may tend to blame it on the gun, Get good glass and mounts to start with, and take an unknown out of the equation right off the bat.......
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Group sizes depend on lots of things....the gun itself, the ammo the gun likes best, and most maybe most important, the one behind the trigger. You won't know for sure until you go thru the paces. Both rifles have a decent reputation for good accuracy.
The second thing is.....if you have a 30-06 now, buying another one just doesn't seem logical to me. Have you tried different brands of ammo in it to see what it wants to eat? If not,give that a try. It may surprise you. If you have already done that, and are still dissatisfied with the groups you get, it may make more sense to send it down the road and get something else. Do you handload? Handloading for a particular rifle can be the difference between night and day when it comes to getting those tiny groups you want. In any regard, don't settle for cheap optics. If you are shooting thru a POS, you may tend to blame it on the gun, Get good glass and mounts to start with, and take an unknown out of the equation right off the bat.......
I don't handload and have tried quite a bit of ammo. Like I said in the other thread the Federal Fusions get down to about a 2-3" group. I'm happy with how they shoot but they are expensive and still not that great. The Winchester silvertips I shot one big hole. 6 shots and each hit each other so made one big hole but that was at 50 yards. For some reason I can't get it to do that at 100 yards. I've tried Remington 165 grain ammo, Winchester power points in 150 grain, soft points in 165, Winchester silvertips in 150, Winchester ballistic silvertips in 150, and Federal Fusions in 150 grain. The Fusions are by far the best. I'm not super happy with it even with a 2-3" group but it's okay I guess.

As for the optics I have a Burris Fullfield II scope on it right now. I previously had a Leupold VX-I scope on it. So I've tried both. We thought the Leupold was bad at first and I think it still may have been but it doesn't shoot a lot better with the Burris and Leupold acted like the scope was fine when I sent it to them although they took it apart and inspected it all.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The other advantage to one of these is that I don't have to keep beating up the wood on the BAR and can keep the BAR in nice shape since it's worth a lot more than either of these guns. On the other hand I don't mind using the BAR either as while I like keeping it looking nice I bought it to use.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me its a no-brainer. I have 3 adl synthetic 700's and they are all great shooters. I wish I could find a 700 for that price. $77 more for a Savage 110..lol...no thanks..
Old 01-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Both good guns. Take your pick.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Remington 700 XCR (Extreme Conditions Rifle) in 270 WSM with a Leupold VXL 3.5x10 scope on it, and man Ill tell you what, that is a nice rig. My dad bought my mom a Savage with the accu trigger though with a Leupold 3x9 and that is also nice shooting. I think either rifle would do fine for you, but I guess my heart lies with the Remington.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I don't handload and have tried quite a bit of ammo. Like I said in the other thread the Federal Fusions get down to about a 2-3" group. I'm happy with how they shoot but they are expensive and still not that great. The Winchester silvertips I shot one big hole. 6 shots and each hit each other so made one big hole but that was at 50 yards. For some reason I can't get it to do that at 100 yards. I've tried Remington 165 grain ammo, Winchester power points in 150 grain, soft points in 165, Winchester silvertips in 150, Winchester ballistic silvertips in 150, and Federal Fusions in 150 grain. The Fusions are by far the best. I'm not super happy with it even with a 2-3" group but it's okay I guess.

As for the optics I have a Burris Fullfield II scope on it right now. I previously had a Leupold VX-I scope on it. So I've tried both. We thought the Leupold was bad at first and I think it still may have been but it doesn't shoot a lot better with the Burris and Leupold acted like the scope was fine when I sent it to them although they took it apart and inspected it all.
Make sure all parts on your rifle are tight (barrel to reciever, action, gun to stock, etc.). Then check the bases and rings. Is the crown damaged? Is the BAR bedded or free floating?

Remington and Savage are both good guns.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure all parts on your rifle are tight (barrel to reciever, action, gun to stock, etc.). Then check the bases and rings. Is the crown damaged? Is the BAR bedded or free floating?

Remington and Savage are both good guns.
Everything seems tight except for the forearm piece. It wiggles some but from what I've read it's normal and I don't really see how that would make a difference in how it shoots. Everything else is tight and the crown seems to be fine. No rough spots that I can tell and feels smooth if you run a q-tip around it.

How do I know if it's bedded or free floating? Not sure what exactly that means.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.