Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 vs Savage 110 >

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

I would go with the Remington. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having owned both, I would pick the 700 without hesitation. Savage rifles are normally accurate butRemingtons feelbetter(to me) andthey hold theirvalue better.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Scott Gags-you're still forgetting the importance of lapping bolt lugs, truing action,etc.
The lugs on the Savagewill align themselves that is the purpose of the two piece bolt. The only machine work that is practical on the savages is truing the face (If needed). The beauty of the Savage is you can screw on the barrel and see if it shoots first. Rarely is truing actually required. The link below is an article the explains some the advantages of building of a savage action.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/long-range-rig.php

Not really intending to bash the remington just point out the strengths of the Savage system.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have the 700 SPS in .270 just like the one you mention. I put a Swift scope on it and it's a tack driver. It cost me $25 to have the trigger lightened and I think it's going to be my whitetail gun for a very long time.

My neighbor bought that same Savage package last year. He likes it, but I think he'll be putting a new scope on it in soon. I would go with the good deal on the Remington.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned neither rifle but have friends that own lots of remingtons. I've handled the Savages many times at the store. Not really a fan of either but if I had to choose I would take the Savage.

Tom
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Scott, thanks for the Savage explanation. This is simply engineering at it's finest. Remingtons are built, like most on an over constrained(Read bent.) design. They are good if all is perfect, but there has to be slop to allow function.

Savage uses a bolt head which is independant of the bolt fit in the rear of the action. This allows the lugs to make contact at zero chamber pressure. This was proven to be important by the author of Rifle AccuracyFacts.

Also, trigger is a key component. Savage has attacked this andfixed the fundamental flaw in trigger design which causes good mass produced pulls to be impossible. So you may not like the design, but it does allow you to touch a light trigger and besure it will not fire.

Last, barrel. Sure, Remington barrels are ok, but they are hammer forged.This is fundamentally a stress inducing process. Even done really well, 1.5 MOA is the best you can be sure of. Savage button rifles their barrels. While they do not make a barrel as refined as a Lilja, they are an the right track.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Last, barrel. Sure, Remington barrels are ok, but they are hammer forged.This is fundamentally a stress inducing process. Even done really well, 1.5 MOA is the best you can be sure of. Savage button rifles their barrels. While they do not make a barrel as refined as a Lilja, they are an the right track.
If I'm not mistaken I think you have your barrel rifling backwards. I believe that hammer forging is the superior method to rifle a barrel. It reduces stress on the rifling because it allows the metal to flow.

Others please respond and correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom
Old 01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a 110 in 30-06 and it's great and quite accurate. I'd recommend it to anyone. However, that 700 sounds like it's a really good price. I don't recall them being priced that low usually.

Both are rifles with long-standing reputations and followings, and they got that way by being good guns that generally pleased their owners. Both are noted for accuracy. Either brand is a good bet for a tack driver.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

If I'm not mistaken I think you have your barrel rifling backwards. I believe that hammer forging is the superior method to rifle a barrel. It reduces stress on the rifling because it allows the metal to flow.

Others please respond and correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom
Please do not feel like this is a correction. Look at Lilja, Krieger, Pacnor, Shilen, etc. Any barrel maker winning a serious accuracy competition makes either single point cut rifled or button rifled barrels with extensive lapping. There are no winners with hammer forged barrels. I think there is one hammer forged barrel maker Loher Walther(I butchered the name) who makes competative, but not winning hammer forged barrels.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Hammer forging hasa high intial capital cost but a very low volume cost (Per Unit). The larger manufacturers go with hammer forging to leverage economys of scale andlower production costs. The barrels can beforged in less than 5 minutes and have a far lower labor cost than all other manufacturing techniques.

Both rifling methods produce stress in the metal andIMHO they both seem tobe comparablein dealing with it. IMHO the devil is in the details at the factory rifle level and they seem like two very different ways of getting to virtually the same place.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 vs Savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.