Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CVA

Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: CVA

Great guns in my opinion. I own a Kodiak Pro, love it. Dad has a optima pro and has had great success. For scope, i'm getting a nikon pro staff. What do u suggest, a 2 x 7 or a 3 x 9.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

great gun to have, i've got the elkhorn pro magnum in 50 cal and love it

Don
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late .. but ... I have a CVA "Optima Pro". So does my son-in-law. These particular rifles have been drop dead accurate and simple to keep clean. Though I have not gotten as good a groups as displayed in earlier post, mine will do about 1.5 MOA all day long. This rifle is rated to handle 150 gr. charges, but I have found no need for that much ummph, and the set-up groups fine using Hornady's 300 gr. Sabots and 100 gr. of 777. Being new to ML as you admit, take this advice ... clean and reclan the rifle. No way you can over clean. Left not properly cleaned, black powder such as 777 and Pyrodex will erode the rifle's "metal" parts and could easily ruin the barrel. I tried the "Jim Shockey" stuff to get away form having to clean so often, but I had a terrible time with inconsistent groups ... that I attribute to unpredictable burn rates of this powder. I have no clue, but what else could it be ???

Another wonderful feature is how easy the break action CVA is to get off a second shot. Replacing the primer is simple.

Wish there was an easy way to ease the trigger pull. Mine is pretty stout at about 6# !!!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have an Optima Elite. I just got it right before this past season started. The Optima is just a larger version of the wolf. The Elite has a little longer Bergarra Barrel. One combination I tried yielded a .75" group at 100yds. For the price, I don't think you can beat CVA.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM

I've got the Optima Elite as well. Like most rifles out there it's a lot more accurate than I am. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find a good deal on a centerfire barrel for it?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a cva wolf and it shoots good cleans easy havent had any problems yet
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bavsmith1

I've got the Optima Elite as well. Like most rifles out there it's a lot more accurate than I am. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find a good deal on a centerfire barrel for it?
Mid South usually has good prices.