Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sightron or nikon? >

sightron or nikon?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sightron or nikon?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default sightron or nikon?

got to top a new varmit rifle. sightron 8-32x56, or nikon monarch 8-32x50? any input will be appreciated. thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: sightron or nikon?

I've never owned either one, another option is the 5-15X40 Bushnell Elite 3200tactical. I've read good about these. I guess for me, I have to see how they hold up, you'll get a lot of opinions on here but you won't know for sure til you use one. Just because the glass is clear when you look through one doesn't mean they are any good. They must hold up to the constant firing of your rifle as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM

Both are good optics, i have a sightron scope on my 243 and i have no complaints about it at all. i have nikon binoculars and i absolutely love them. My brother has a nikon on his sniper rifle and he loves it as well. I dont think you can go wrong with either of them. Sightron might be a tad bit cheaper, but with that high a power on a scope it might be more than i think. Once you make your choice, you'll have to post some pics of the combination
Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed you are kicking around this decision about a new varmint scope. So I will kick in a few personal experiences. It would help to know exactly what you are going to hunt. But there are still some general characteristcs that "FIT" a varmint scope.

My first question is why do you want such a big objective lens. 40mm is more than adequate, and allows you to mount the scope closer to the bore, which is more important than a larger objective lens. IMO better glass transmits more light, not a big objective, and light gathering is rarely a characteristic that a varmint scope needs.

Personally I think you are wanting too much power. But that is a personal choice. Howerer on a normal summer day you will only be able to use about 16X, anything above that gives mirage on a hot day, or over a hot barrel.

Tracking is what is important in a varmint scope. Buy a scope that tracks well.

I do not like the longer scopes. That is why I got rid of a Bushnell 4200. Too long and heavy.

How far do you intend to shoot??

I have some varmint scopes with the varmint reticle. And some scopes with target turrets. The particular way you use a scope determines which set up is best for you. But I will admit I find it humerous when a person pays for a Leupold Varmint Hunting reticle, then pays extra for target turrets-that seems a little redundant to me. Target turrets are OK for a fixed position rifle, but they really are in the way for a walikng rifle if shots are under 400 yards.

The two you mentioned are just too much for my needs. I keep my varminting hunting under 600 yards, 700 max.

Spend a little less on size and power, and spend a little more on glass and tracking. You will be happeir in the long run. Tom.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

^^^^ Very good advice!!!^^^^
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

hey thanks for the input i ended up with one of the bushnells that were made for browning in 8-32x44 or mabye it is x40 but it tracked well and amazingly clear plus i paid 275 for the bushnell and the nikon and the sightron would have costed me 789