Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Show!!??!! >

Gun Show!!??!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Show!!??!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Gun Show!!??!!

Hey guys!

I will be going to my first gun show this weekend. Ive bought lots of new guns and guns out of the news paper, but I've never been to a show. Tell me what to expect, will prices be higher or lower? Im hoping to pick up just an old used single shot 12 or 20 gauge. for a good price. Ill let ya all know how it goes, but what should I expect?
-Jake
Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Show!!??!!

depends on the show and the sellers just like anything else....

my buddy owns a shop and when he goes to a show, he just leaves the price tags on from the shop for the most part....

nice thing is being able to do a little wheeling and dealing and doing a little talking...

i wouldnt expect to find any absolute steals....most sellers know what they are selling and what its worth....but keep your eyes open....

i dont know how large of a show you will be at, but i know the one i used to go to, youd need all day to do any serious shopping to get around the place atleast 1 or 2 times and ponder and think and compare and such....but, gotta be careful, could be gone before your back....most wont hold anything without money down because its not a sure thing and the next guy could have cash in hand and want it NOW....so be careful and smart about it....i wouldnt say jump on the first thing you see that you might like, but gotta be prepared for it to be gone if you do come back later...never know....

the one i used to go to was always packed...had to be pretty early and always lines...pretty much walked around slowly down the isles and looking at the tables...

working a show is mind boggling lol....soooo many different people.....i about went nuts lol...buddy had me and dad work/watch over his tables while he was doing paper work on sales and trying to squeeze in some of his own shopping.....fun time and im a sales man at heart lol...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be prepared for a lot of people being there.
I just went to a show in central MO 3 weeks ago and arrived at 9:30am on a Sat. and there were already 2000+ people there.

Take a bore light with you and remember that most of the best buys are from the everyday people like you and me that bring in their guns to sell. They are the ones walking around with their guns with "For Sale" signs hanging off the end of the barrel.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you are looking for a pretty common firearm. Keep your eye open at the door. you will probably see several individuals bringing their own personal firearms in to sell. You might find one for a reasonable price from an individual. I have bought a bunch of guns that way over the years.

You will see a lot of old timers sitting outside. Even in the cold weather. They are looking to buy the guns for the cheapest price before anyone else ever even sees the guns.

Also shop all the tables first. And keep going back if you find one you like. And make sure you carry cash. And make sure the dealer sees your cash while you are shopping. Send a friend for a soda, and make sure the dealer sees your roll when you give your friend the money for the soda. Or even offer to buy the dealer a soda. But make sure he sees your cash before you start to negotiate. With the emphasis on BEFORE. It can be very difficult for a dealer to allow a cash buyer to walk away, and do not be afraid to walk away. You can always walk back. Tom.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Spike

Ive goe to a few gun shows up here in Canada, and usually I don't find many steals. A lot times vendors are selling rifles for more then you can buy them new. I dont thnk they really have any idea how much things are worth. Rem 7600s (pumps) were the worst.

Take your wife! I did get one excellant deal on an 870 Wingmaster cause I told the guy it was for my lady. He liked that. Knocked $50 off an already great price right their.

I just picked up a .308 last fall, so im on the look out for 7.62 NATO surplus to shoot in it.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with theses guys your deals are walking in not what is there already,stand at the door or outside
the door.If someone beat you to it and is looking and does not buy it then it is your turn to look,don't barge
in when someone is already there.(inside rule)Again take your time and be selective another even better deal might be pulling in the parking lot
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

thanks guys! I know a little more what to expect. The show is saturday I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
-Jake