Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 i need advice >

i need advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

i need advice

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default i need advice

hello everyone. i am looking for a youth rifle for my wife, she wants tostart huntingwith me but finding a compact/youth model in .308 win that will not boot the snotout of her is proving to be quite a dillema. any advice would be appreciated. also trying to stay under 800 dollrs forthe gun. thanks Josh.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i need advice

Have you definitely decided on the .308? There are some "tamer" choices out there (especially in short barreled, light weight rifles). A 7mm-08 might be easier...less recoil, less muzzle flip. Anyway, check the Ruger compacts, Browning X Bolt Micro Hunters, Rem Model 7, and for a few more bucks the Kimber 84's. If you go with the .308, I'd suggest trying some Managed Recoil ammo first. Good luck and Kudos to the Mrs. for wanting to join in the fun.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest the Model 7 from Remington but I'm sure all the other major manufacturers offer a similar youth option.The .308 is fairly tame as far as recoil goes, but if you are worried about recoil you could go down to .243. Much tamer recoil but still adequate for deer.

This might be obvious but I'll say it anyways, recoil is 90 percent mental. When you teach her to shoot make sure she keeps the rifle snug to her shoulder and use good form. Also make sure she has good hearing protection. If she shoots a rifle and it rings her ears, comes flying back into her shoulder and gives her a scope cut she is going to think a .308 has nasty recoil. If she has good hearing protection, has the rifle snug to her shoulder, and keeps her head a safe distance from the scope she will go "oh that's not bad at all"
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

i understand the recoi idea and am no stranger to teaching others to shoot however my remark about "that will not boot the snot out of her" was i fired a ruger compact in 308 with the 16.5 inch barrel and i hve to say that the recoi was comparable to my 300 win mag. for me not a problem but coud become fairly uncomfortable with a long day on the range. and yes she is firm on 308 which is ok with me because i have 100 +rounds for it allready from my 308.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recoil is about weight and fit. If the rifle weighs enough it will soak it up. If the rifle fits her then the recoil will feel much less brutal. Have you consider just getting a standard medium weight rifle that fits her finger length and then having a smith cut it down?

Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Encore TC hunter with a bantum stock. I purchased that for my fiancee I have the regular size stock for me and my barrels and she has her .223 .243 and 7mm-08 barrels.

Just a suggestion since when you buy an encore you are getting alot more for your money!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger's M77 Compact is a great little gun. My wife is 5'5 and 130lbs and it is just her size.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a Savage 11FYCAK in 7-08 for my grand son. It is a very accurate rifle and has a detachable magazine which is great for safety's sake, converting it into a single shot for training, and it has a muzzle brake that can be used in the open or closed positions. Recoil with the muz brake is negligible.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

Just a suggestion since when you buy an encore you are getting alot more for your money!
I'd really like to see how the mathematics works on that...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the advice no i never thought of having one cut down but the idea i ike the best is the tc with the bantum stock what is the price range on the tc's?

Quick Reply: i need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.