Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-Blue

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re-Blue

I want to Re-Blue a 1951 Winchester Model 94. What brand of Re-Blue would be the best to use on the gun or any gun...... There are a few makes out there so im looking for your experiences. Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Re-Blue

Unless it is in absolutely destroyed I would recommend not re-blueing it?
Your value will go down considerabily!
I would assume it has a very nice peta color unless it has been abused?
The brown peta color is more desirable.
My 2 cents?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
bigcountry

I have tried the birchwood cold blueing and I can't for the life of me get a good even blue. You have to work it so fast. Only way to get a decent blue is to dip it in a blueing tank.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just as Rugermike stated, refinishing can instantly lower value by as much as 50%. Once you start, there's NO turning back, so be SURE you want to refinish it 1st. Be aware that the bluing solutions you're talking about is cold bluing. Cold bluing is an controlled oxidation produced by chemical reaction only, whereas hot bluing is controlled oxidation process from temperature and chemical reaction. Hot bluing is MUCH better, being both deeper into the surface, and longer lasting. It's extremely hard to achieve good results with cold bluing. That having been said, if you are dead set on attempting it yourself, and want the best cold bluing results using conventional cold bluing, use oxpho blue sold by brownells- http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...le=OXPHO-BLUE~ Another product that gives decent results is blue wonder, a 2 part process- http://www.bluewonder.us/

When using cold blue, make absolutely SURE you go exactly per instructions, with attention to detail, and make sure it's totally degreased before cold bluing. I still think an professional hot blue would be better.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was have such a specimin refinished I ceratinly wouldn't take that on myself as a novice. I'd pay the money and have it done correctly - proberly even spend the long dollar and send it to Turnbull Restoration and have it done as it was originally done.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree it would be better to leave it in the original condition. When you start re-blueing them it lower the value.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 1951 Winchester 94 that needs a bluing job is worth $400-$500 on today's market. I have bought a few for less. So I am pretty sure my price is at the top end of what they are selling for(not what some idiots are asking).

I do not thnik a professional rebluing job would reduce the value that much. Actually IMO the Pre-64 94's are sought after by hunters who wish to use them. Now by that I mean rifles built in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Earlier rifles are real collector models and should be treated as such.

If you want to use the firearm for its intentions(hunting). They go ahead and have it reblued. It may reduce the value a bit, but if you are keeping the rifle to hunt with then who cares.

However I would do as mentioned above. I would have it professionally done by a competant gunsmith. Cold bluing just does not work right, or look good.

I hunt with a 1958 Winchester 94 that also could use some bluing. however I choose to carry it in the condition it is in. I consider the wear to be beauty marks.

Below is a picture of a 1958 model 94. Notice the small pitting at the bottom of the receiver. This is due to carrying a rifle for many years. If this is the problem you have with yours then a rebluing job would not help. The pits would still show. Tom.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all your replies, it helped..!