Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 9MM

Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Spike

Default Ruger 9MM

Thinking about a 9mm Ruger single/ double decocker with hi capacity round mags.
found one at the gun shop for 345.00 in Stainless with a 4 inch bbl and fixed rear sights. I think its a P95 any thoughts on this? good gun for plinking/HD?
Any one got suggestions for another gun in the same price range?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 9MM

I've shot them and played with them a little. They are rugged, reliable, easy to disassemble, but by and large, not known for their accuracey. The one I had would do 3-4" at 25 yd. from a rest. Certainly good enough for defense.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

As mentioned above, if you're looking for competition accuracy, look somewhere else. Just for fun and self defense, its a great gun!
-Jake
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a lot of reading about them and looked at them even. I really like them and they are really nice guns however, I will say that I much preferred the SR9 over the P95 after looking at both. I'd take a look at the SR9. That sounds a little high for a P95 but maybe not as when I priced them was about 6 months ago.

As said above they are not the most accurate but they are known for being very reliable and accurate enough to just have fun with. They are overall good guns.
I think I found the P95's from $329.99 to $339.99. I found a few higher than that but that's around what most seemed to cost. The $329.99 was one on sale but at the same time I think you should be able to get places down to at least that most of the time. That was for the stainless version just like you were looking at.

Honestly though I'd take a strong look at the Ruger SR9 instead. Just felt much nicer to me and I liked it a lot better. A lot of guys like the Springfield XD's also however, for some reason I liked the Ruger better when looking at them and just had my mind set on one.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

if you want a great pistol go with the SR9. slim lean and quick to handle. Shoots great, accuarte and just has a great feel.
You'll love it.
-Jake
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a LOT of experience with the P series Rugers. I recommend you choose 2 things-standard safety instead of decocker, and metal (aluminum) frame. The safety model will still decock when engaged, but will also act as safety, whereas the decocker is just that. I think the alloy frame choice over the plastic version is self explanitory, as some of the Ruger plastic frames do NOT have steel frame inserts for the slide to ride on. I don't remember the exact models which has plastic and which feature steel inserts.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I've had a LOT of experience with the P series Rugers. I recommend you choose 2 things-standard safety instead of decocker, and metal (aluminum) frame. The safety model will still decock when engaged, but will also act as safety, whereas the decocker is just that. I think the alloy frame choice over the plastic version is self explanitory, as some of the Ruger plastic frames do NOT have steel frame inserts for the slide to ride on. I don't remember the exact models which has plastic and which feature steel inserts.
[/quote

I have as well and the P series are excellent firearms! However, they have their problems as well the the P89 is the best version in my opinion, PERIOD! If you like the double action version?
However,the new SR-9 is a better option, because it isn't double action which requires alot more trigger pull on DB action position. Yes they are very accurate and I have owned several. But the double action pull is extremely hard (27lbs++) so I havea ruger SR-9 with the trigger conversion they offer, from the recall they have had. I will tell you the Ruger SR-9 is the best handleing semi-auto i have ever held and fired. 1st and formost I have small hands and long fingers. so the SR-9 fits me perfectly. The slim grip and the extra action trigger pull could not have been better designed than if I had sent it to them myself. But again this is my opinion. the other option is the SR-9 comes with night sites, not optioned on the 89?
e-mail me at [email protected] if you wish to discuss options?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be in the market for a 9mm as soon as New York gets around to processing my CCW application, and after reading this thread i have been reading everything I can find online about the SR9 and it looks pretty good.

One thing I am curious about, I have seen a few places where people say that the slide doesn't lock open after the last round is fired. Those of you that have experienced the gun, is this true? Is that unusual for a gun of this type? I have only fired a few handguns, and the slide on them all stayed open when the gun was emptied.

What prices have you seen for an SR9? I have seen people online mentioning $380 - $500.

I got the money set aside, and I'm just sitting here waiting on the permit from the state... I'm like a kid the night before Christmas, except the night lasts for months!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember when Ruger first brought out their P-85 pistol. I sold so many of them that it was not even funny. And I returned a bunch of them to Ruger. I actually returned some that when shot at a chest high target at 25 yards, the bullet would strike the floor. Then there was the next P series. Not much better. It is hard to recommend a pistol when you have a bad taste in your mouth because of the history of the pistol But then I can remember how bad the S&W 39 was also.

If you are getting a 3-4 inch group at 25 yards from a Ruger then you should be happy with that. That is as good as anyone I have ever seen shoot.

My suggestion is save your money and buy a better pistol. But I am sure I will get flamed for saying that. But so be it. However I can say that I have owned and shot a few dozen P series auto's over the years. And I would never even consider letting my life depend on one of them. Tom.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I have never shot the SR9, but I have seen them shot at my club. I noticed that the slide stop either does not work correctly, or the gun is not designed to lock theslide open after the first shot (not sure which is the case).

I would recommend the P95 with decock onlyand not a manualsafety if you go with a P95. The P95is a very strong and realiable handgun. Ruger says it is approved for+P and +P+.A lot ofself defense trainers prefer a handgun without a manualsafety unless itis a single action 1911 (not recommended for the occasional shooter). They alsopreferto NOT have a magazine disconnect (check your local gun laws). If you do not shoot a lot, I think the Springfield XD may bethe best choice. This gun has the grip safety and trigger safety, and the recoil is low for a polymer handgun. Start out the the NRA Basic Pistol course and then move to the NRA Personal Defense courses.

Quick Reply: Ruger 9MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.