Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 6.5mm Rem Mag ? >

6.5mm Rem Mag ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5mm Rem Mag ?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Default 6.5mm Rem Mag ?

Ok, I've been a 6.5 fan since I bought my wife a model 7 in .260 five or six years ago (she's killed several nice deer with it & I've found it very mild to shoot at the range) anyway I've been using a 35 Whelen & 30-06 for deer the past twenty years or so & just decided to get myself a "smaller" deer rifle.

Last night, I bought a Remington 673 in 6.5mm Mag off of gunbroker. Anybody have any experience with either the gun or the caliber??? I know, you either love or hate the looks of the 673, but is she a shooter?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM

Default RE: 6.5mm Rem Mag ?

No first hand experiance but I've heard that finding ammo for the 6.5mm Rem Mag can be both problematic and expensive.
Also most people find the ballistics underwhelming for a "magnum", similar to a 6.5-06 wildcat.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Isn't the 673 an updated version of the old 660's? If so, it ought to shoot well. I always liked the look of that rifle, although I preferred it without the vent rib. Never had the opportunity to shoot one. I don't know if I'd have chosen the 6.5 Magnum. As popeye said, I don't think that I've ever seen a box of the stuff on the shelves, although most of my shopping is at Academy.... I'd imagine the stuff commands a premium price.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM

yeah, that's the 673. I, too, like the looks of it, but I understand you either like it or you don't. No in betweens on whether you like the looks or not! I thought about buying one a couple of years ago, but didn't do it.

I was hoping somebody would own the gun in whatever caliber. Just wanted a little real life feedback.

As for the ammo.... we have three stores in the area who like compeeting to see who the gun & ammo "superstore" is. So, as long as Remington's making the ammo all three will probably be selling it. I guess I'm lucky in that respect, but if need be I can always make a couple of batches.

We'll see if it's a good deer getter or not this fall I suppose. I'll let you all know!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 AM

I have the 673 chambered in the 6.5 rem mag and it is my go to deer rifle. I use a 120 grain Nosler with 53 grains of IMR 4350 and it's a nail driver. This years deer takin at just shy of 300 yards, dropped instantly. You can buy the Remington factory ammo for around $39.00 a box. Anyway you go you will not be disapointed with your purchase, it' a shooter!!!