Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70 >

baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70

have been watching these for several years,even called few times to remington and baikal overseas.could not get my hands on one,have read many stories about them some good some bad.talked to 2 guys that just got them.said wood is walnut ,not super fancy buy any means,both reported groups between 3 to 4 inches at 75 yds without a lot of tinkering.so mine is on its way...double rifle in 45/70 for under $1000 ?ill post back on how she does,
Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Default RE: baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70

Sounds like a winner to me. Id like to get one.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

yes i agree too bad i cant afford a nice double in 577 from Holland and holland.i held one once.lol
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: snuffynra

have been watching these for several years,even called few times to remington and baikal overseas.could not get my hands on one,have read many stories about them some good some bad.talked to 2 guys that just got them.said wood is walnut ,not super fancy buy any means,both reported groups between 3 to 4 inches at 75 yds without a lot of tinkering.so mine is on its way...double rifle in 45/70 for under $1000 ?ill post back on how she does,
What i'm reading about them from those that own them is, they need quite a bit of tinkering. Horrible triggers, rib parts falling off, and horrible sights. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it looks like they won't win any awards for quality either...

They are NOT designed to handle any heavy loads either, so factory load pressures it is!...

DM
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I believe these rifles should be held to "trapdoor Springfield" pressure levels.......
Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Yes, I believe these rifles should be held to "trapdoor Springfield" pressure levels.......

.........Sooooooo....why would anyone want to buy one if it can't be loaded up past the pitiful trapdoor ammo specs?? With a lockup like that and proper barrel steel, I just fail to see the why???
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

i have been trying since 02 to get one of these,Remington, since they have started importing these very recently has changed quite a bit,walnut instead of birch.they (remington)because of todays liability reason say the gun is made to handle regular 45/70 ammo.they will not be responsible for what happens if you load it full of buffalo bore rounds and fire both barrels.i do not handload so over the counter 405 gr remington sp will do fine for me.i have talked to others that just got this gun and both said they have been playing with heavier loads.it also comes in 30/06 which is much more presure then the 45/70.but if anyone has ever priced a double before then i guess you know what i m saying.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trap Door Specs.?? Where did that information come from?? Not arguing, just asking??

Personally I can not believe they built the rifle to Trap Door pressure specs.

I read 2 reviews on the Leverguns site. Both guys over there liked what they recieved. But that is only 2 reviews.

My question would be how well regulated are they?? And at what distance?? Tom.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

you can change the regulation slightly with a jack screw installed.2 of the guys that i talked too both said 3and 4 inches at 75yds,i have read reports that ,on some of the older ones the wood looked like an old stud,i know they have changed a few things including the wood.it is now walnut,when i called the dealer about the load restrictions,he said it is a disclaimer so if some one puts 2 buffalo bore super hot loads in it and touch off both barrels and something happens ,they wont be held responsible.i got some remington 405 gr sp.if i ever hunt something that is not big enough for(another continent) that load i would not be carrying a 45/70.i also have a 450 guide gun and a cz 550 in the 458 lott or 458 win(it shoots either or)and many guys say the 450 marlin and hot 45/70 s are close to the lott,NO THEY ARE NOT.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Trap Door Specs.?? Where did that information come from?? Not arguing, just asking??

Personally I can not believe they built the rifle to Trap Door pressure specs.

I read 2 reviews on the Leverguns site. Both guys over there liked what they recieved. But that is only 2 reviews.

My question would be how well regulated are they?? And at what distance?? Tom.
I believe the bar pressure level is stamped on the gun... Also, Rem. has stated to NOT load them up!

DM

Quick Reply: baikal/remington double rifle in 45/70

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.