Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy? >

Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy?

hey all, I am interested in buying a new rifle for varmint hunting. I want something that will shoot far and flat. I am going to get either a .223 or a 22-250. I like the Remington 700 SPS a lot but am willing to look at winchesters and savage as well. What do you guys recommend and/or what do you guys use? I like the price of .223 bullets but I really like the 22-250 caliber. Any input?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy?

Sounds like you already have it figured out. The 22.250 will give you more distance, but not if you don't practice and get the right scope. If you are not going to be shooting farther than 250-300 yards the 223 will be just fine. If you are going to shooting farther than that, be ready to spend some money on a lot of practice ammo! I chose the .223 for just those reasons.

The Remington SPS is a great gun. A trigger job and you will be ready to go. If you are going to get the heavy barrel, but careful for what you wish for. It is heavy!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Savage Model 12FV chambered in 223, I love this gun.
I also own a Remington VLS chambered in 22-250, I love this gun also.

Both guns shootgreat, If I had to pick one to keep & one to sell? I would sell the 223.

The 22-250 isthe better all around choice for me.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Rem. 700 SPS Varmint over a year ago in .17 Rem. Fireball. Not the caliber you wish, but my comments are that the gun shoots really good right out of the box after barrel break-in was completed. Not the prettiest girl at the dance, but dances well. My last 3-shot group out of it went just about 0.250" at 100 yds.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I were your, I'd get an AR15 chambered in .223, and put a good scope on it, while you still can....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

If I were your, I'd get an AR15 chambered in .223, and put a good scope on it, while you still can....

.............Now that's a good idea...But you better check your local Game Laws where you live....They're illegal to hunt with here in Pennsylvania. Home of antiquated everything.....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

jimmy, i got the sps in the heavy barrel in 243 caliber. it is a bit on the heavy side with a scope on it. not a carry around gun. got the 243 so the rifle can be used for more than varmits. recoil in just about none. it a good shooter after i worked up a load for it. just my opinion on the caliber.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

If you reload 22-250. If you are shooting factory ammo 223.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

.............Now that's a good idea...But you better check your local Game Laws where you live....They're illegal to hunt with here in Pennsylvania. Home of antiquated everything.....

I agree with the AR. But as stated you better watch where you hunt with it. I was almost arrested in PA when I was ground hog hunting with my RR Varminter. If it had been a CO instead of a State Trooper I am pretty sure it would have cost me a lot of money. I never imagined an AR would be illegal to ground hog hunt with. Boy was I wrong. Tom.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have an SPS Varmint in 22-250...

i LOVE it....great shooting rifle straight out of the box with a 6-18x40AOT Leupold on it...

CO Luckydog is correct....dont go with the SPS Varmint with the 26" heavy barrel if you plan to walk far and carry the rifle!!! VERY top heavy bare..put a big scope on it, and a harris bipod, and you have to sling it upside down for sure...then walking is tough...gotta watch brush and grass hitting the muzzle etc...but, i bought mine to reach out and touch...not to go for a walk! lol...i know the farmers in my area and most will let me drive their farmer roads and such...i can usually park not far from where i setup for groundhog hunting....

223 vs 22-250 can be debated till the cows come home....the 22-250 will give you a bit more range...but like CO said, not if you dont practice...even 200+ is more challenging than most give credit for...300+ takes a bit of knowledge and know how...ive found that if i dont practice somewhat regular, i get sloppy and cant make those 300+yd shots with much consistency....

Quick Reply: Which Varmint Caliber Should I Buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.