Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk >

Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk

I have a Winchester 94 trapper AE in 45lc and would like a blackhawk or super blackhawk as a same cal companion sidearm. I have been told the super blackhawk is the way to go, but my local gun dealer said Ruger doesn't offer it in 45lc. Am I stuck with the blackhawk? If so, how bad is this for hunting whitetails.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk

Nothing wrong with a Blackhawk in .45Colt for hunting. You can load them up to .44mag ballistics and they are safe as can be to shoot out of the Blackhawk. You can also buy over the counter loads that are at .44mag levels from makers such as Buffalo Bore and Corbon (and many more).

There is no dimensional difference between the two just the grip frame and that depends on the Super Blackhawk you buy. The 10 1/2inbarrel and 7 1/2in BarrelSupers will have a longer "squared back trigger guard"grip frame and a non fluted cylinder. The 5 1/2 Super will have the same grip frame as the regular Blackhawk (shorter with a round trigger guard) and a fluted cylinder and the 4 5/8in barrel Super will also have the regular grip frame but has a non fluted cylinder.

So basically the 5 1/2in barrel Super Blackhawklooks exactly like the 5 1/2in Blackhawk only one is .44mag and the other .45 Colt.....Make sense?

If you want a Ruger chambered in the same round (.45Colt) as your trapper, get the Regular Blackhawk you don't think twice about it..... You will be getting the same gun.

I have one chambered in .45Colt, it's a 5 1/2in barrel and it shoots great.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only differences between the BH and SBH is the hammer and grip frames. Both use the same cylinder frames and cylinders. Some SBH's do have unfluted cylinders though. There has been a SBH in .45 Colt - the Hunter models made for Lipseys.
Look at Ruger's site and you can see what's available.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll go with the blackhawk.What about if I want to mount a scope? I know the SBH hunter is milled for the Ruger rings. what about a BH?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think you might want to scope it, go with the hunter as they're already machined for & include ruger scope rings.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy to mount a scope on the standard BH. You can use the clamp on style mount [:'(]or drill & tap the topstrap for a more solid set-up. There were Hunters made in 45 Colt if that's the chambering you want to have.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have any luck finding an hunter in .45colt, don't feel the least bit disadvantaged with the regular blackhawk. They will shoot better under field/woods conditions than you & me combined. B-square makes good no-gunsmithing mounts if you don't want to have it permanently altered by drilling & tapping the topstrap.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Anyone on here want to help me out? I've settled in on a SBH Hunter in 45lc. If anyone can help me find it I'd be very appreciative. I've been searching all over and haven't found anything.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: idunno

Anyone on here want to help me out? I've settled in on a SBH Hunter in 45lc. If anyone can help me find it I'd be very appreciative. I've been searching all over and haven't found anything.

Good luck!

They are extremely rare and will command top price if found. I believe only about 600-700 SBH Hunters were made in .45Colt and somewhere around 279 with the Bisley grip frames. I too am looking for one....as soon as I find one I'm snagging it!

The .44mags are much easier to locate, I found mine with ease.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iknow where ther eis one but it's staying put. Best bet is to keep your eyes on the auction site sand the various forum's classifieds. AnyI hear of I'll let you know about.