Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Advice on a scope >

Advice on a scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advice on a scope

Old 12-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Advice on a scope

I know very little about optics and am hoping for some advice. I have a Marlin .35 cal side ejecting lever action rifle that I use for deer hunting. I'm wanting to put a scope on it and was wanting to keep the cost below $250 if possible. Itreestand and still huntwith this rifle and probably won't be looking to make shots greater than 150yds.
Any advice on which scope I should choose?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice on a scope

Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Burris Fullfield II in 3x9x40mm on my 30-06 and really like it. I had a Leupold VX-I before that in the same size and had nothing but constant problems and it didn't like to hold zero if you bumped it or anything either. I switched to the Burris and realized how much clearer it is too.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

hometheatreman,
You seem to take every opportunity to badmouth leupold scopes. I believe that you have had problems with one, but I am sure that given the opportunity, Leupold will do whatever it takes to make it right. You need to get over it, because it makes your opinions on every other topic seem suspect to those who have real experience with leupold. For every dissatisfied leupold customer, there are probably at least 98 who have had trouble free service. A return rate of more than 2% would be death in today's competetive environment.

Let me tell you of my experiences with Leupold scopes (we also have Zeiss and Bushnell on various rifles). Currently, we have 2-VX-I, 4-Vari-x-II, and 2 Vari-X III on various rifles. Not one has given a singleproblem. Since you had a VX-I, let me tell you about one of our VX-I's, a 3x9x40. This scope is on my farm beater gun, a Howa .243, and seldom sees the inside of the house. It lives either in the garage, pickup, oron my ATV. At this time of year, every day for more than 3 months, I run a 2 mile long trapline on my property. The law requires a 24 hour check, so I am out at dawn every day. That rifle with VX-I rides in the open rack on my 4-wheeler, and has for more than 4 years. It sees freezing temps, rain, sleet , snow, mud and plenty of vibration. It has never changed zero, or given any other problem.

Every company has occasional problems, even Zeiss and Swaro. The best companies knock them selves out to provide quality customer service when necessary.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post keyshunter!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .35 is a close range cal so it really doesn't need much power.I'd stick with something in the 1-4/1-5 range.I;m another Leupold fan but I don't think they offer low power scopes for under 250.Have a look at what Bushnell offers.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

hometheatreman,
You seem to take every opportunity to badmouth leupold scopes. I believe that you have had problems with one, but I am sure that given the opportunity, Leupold will do whatever it takes to make it right. You need to get over it, because it makes your opinions on every other topic seem suspect to those who have real experience with leupold. For every dissatisfied leupold customer, there are probably at least 98 who have had trouble free service. A return rate of more than 2% would be death in today's competetive environment.

Let me tell you of my experiences with Leupold scopes (we also have Zeiss and Bushnell on various rifles). Currently, we have 2-VX-I, 4-Vari-x-II, and 2 Vari-X III on various rifles. Not one has given a singleproblem. Since you had a VX-I, let me tell you about one of our VX-I's, a 3x9x40. This scope is on my farm beater gun, a Howa .243, and seldom sees the inside of the house. It lives either in the garage, pickup, oron my ATV. At this time of year, every day for more than 3 months, I run a 2 mile long trapline on my property. The law requires a 24 hour check, so I am out at dawn every day. That rifle with VX-I rides in the open rack on my 4-wheeler, and has for more than 4 years. It sees freezing temps, rain, sleet , snow, mud and plenty of vibration. It has never changed zero, or given any other problem.

Every company has occasional problems, even Zeiss and Swaro. The best companies knock them selves out to provide quality customer service when necessary.
I will say Leupold has let me send it in for repair to try to make it right. Their customer service is great. However, since in a year and a half it's been in twice I'm just not sure that it's not going to need to go back into them in 6 months. I got to thinking maybe I was the only one having these problems then I talked to a buddy. BTW I only know 3 people that have Leupold scopes me being 1 of those 3 and another one was having the exact same issue I was where it was adjusting itself. What are the odds that of the 3 people I know me included that 2 of us are going to have the exact same problem? I know quite a few guys with Simmons scopes which get a horrible rep and I'm not trying to say I think they are great but I know quite a few guys with them and don't know any of them that have ever had a problem with them. If they have had a problem they have never told me about it and they usually like to talk about stuff when they have a problem with it.

That's what but a bad taste in my mouth for Leupold. I thought I was the only one until I found out another one is having the exact same issues. Then the other one that hasn't had any issues hasn't had the scope long enough to see if it has any. He just got it this year.

My scope when it did work lost zero if you bumped it hard and never was as clear as the Burris. That being said I'm sure some of the Leupold scopes are great as I know a lot of people have had good experiences with them but there are also ones that I've talked to besides me that have had bad experiences.

I'm just saying the Burris was $20 cheaper, works better, and is way clearer. Why wouldn't it be the obvious choice?

Leupold's customer service is great but there is no reason I should have to keep sending it in.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put a 4x fixed power on it. The Leuppy FXII would be a prime candidate.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, you should not have to keep sending it in. I would call, and if you can not get satisfaction ask to talk to a customer service supervisor, Ask that it be replaced.

Honestly, I have beaten the snot out of that VX-1. I have no doubt that I could pull it off of my 4-wheeler right now and shoot a 1" hundred yard group-right where it's supposed to be. I have done it several times in the past.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look for a 4X scope. Or a 2.5X. Shop around. You could find a great used fixed power scope if you are not in a hurry. If you buy a Leupold or Burris you can buy a used scope with confidence. Tom.

Quick Reply: Advice on a scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.