Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range Shooters(RR?) >

Long Range Shooters(RR?)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range Shooters(RR?)

Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Long Range Shooters(RR?)

Hey!
RR and several others in here I know can shoot some rediculous distances. I have been shooting out to 400 yards with my REMY 700 in .30-06. I just got my farthest kill to date on a PA doe at 395 yards. Perfect shot it dropped dead. Problem is I am shooting a cheaper scope without the MOA adjustment(not sue what to call them??) turrets on the scope. I have just practiced enough I know where to hold to keep it in a pie plate at 400 yards. Question is, what scope in the $200 dollar range can i buy (I'm a poor college student) that will give me the adjustment turrets and is it realistic to be able to shoot 500 yards without handloading and without messing with my bolt and barrel? If I can get 500 yard range I'd be very happy for now! Thanks for any ideas!!!!
-Jake
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 PM

Default RE: Long Range Shooters(RR?)

In that price range, to be honest, its gonna be tough to find something with solid, repeatable turret adjustments. If 500 yards is your "target" range, no pun intended, my suggestion, and what I have on several of my guns, is a Burris with the Ballitic-Plex reticle. By properly setting up your load, and testing it out with that reticle at known ranges, you can do very well with it out to your specified distance. Its the least complicated or "busy" of just about any of the drop-compensator type reticles. You can pick up a Fullfield II 3-9x40 for just a tick over $200 at several places on line. Highly recommend that one. May get some other suggestions. Nice shot by the way, and its always nice to hear someone practicing at long range instead of just hammering away on a wing and prayer.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

thanks 25! I love to shoot all the time! Being at college really cuts into it.. Ill def. look into the burris!
-Jake
Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

sure, its easily doable.
RR
Doable?? Yes.

Easily Doable?? I am not so sure about that.

I have seen far too many hunters try shots past 300 and 400 yards. IMO that is where you separate the doers from the talkers.

I am not saying that Boca is not capable. Please accept my apology if you think I have. But after 300 and definitely after 400 that is where (IMO)it takes better equipment to accomplish the shots.

I have shot a lot of different scopes and I can honestly say that I have never seen a scope for under $200 that would track reliably, and be consistent enough to take the shot at big game on a reliable basis.

Now maybe a Burris 3X9 with a Ballistic Plex reticle could work. But it would take a ton of range time to make that work.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge. And if sighted in properly a standard cross hair can accomplish 400 yard shots. But past 400 yards the 30-06 drops off rapidly. You can sight a 30-06 dead on at 300 yards and still have 5to 7 inch point blank range out to 350 yards. So a high shoulder shot at 400 yards will kill a deer. But past that it is hit or miss without really knowing what you are doing. Just my opinion.

If long range shooting is what you really want to do then I would invest in a fixed power scope of about 10X. This will get you the best optics you can buy on a limited budget. Look at the SWFA Super Sniper in 10X, or the Bushnell Elite in 10X. I have read pretty good reports about the tracking on these two scopes. They should be close to your budget. I know 10X is a bit high for close shooting, but with practice it should work for all but running shots. But who is shooting at running deer at long distance?? Tom.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

First week of Deer in WV i watched a friend of mine shoot a doe at 480 yrds prone with his 300 ultra mag. Its a simple remington 700 sps with a 20X VX-III Leupold. He has a Muzzle Break on it and has the trigger set to 1.8lbs. Thats all hell of a shot with about 7 of us watching.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

The Burris Fullfield II w/Ballistic Plex reticle is the only scope for around $200 I would have any faith in. If using the BP reticle you will not have to rely on the internal adjustments of the scope. You will sight-in at 100 yards and use the ballistic marks to compensate for hold over. However, you yourself will have to be able to dope the wind. This can be done with alot of practice and patience.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what scope you have now but it's possible you can get BDC knobs for it. I added BDC knobs on my Leupold 6.5x20x40for my 7mmRUM. They have adjustment out to 1000 yards but I've only practiced with them out to 500 yards. Below is a link to the place I bought them from. Funny thing is I spent the money on the scope upgrades and time reloading and practicing out to 500 yards and ended up shooting my Mulie at 300 yards. Below you can see the BDCknob on my scope.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Old 12-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

+1 on the Burris.

If the bottom grid does not get you out to 500, which it should, turn the power down on the scope till it does.

I have one on my 270 and can hit clays at 550. Nice scope for the money.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

thanks guys! lots of info here and lots to think about! I pratice all the time and I wont rush myself to 500 yards, Ill wait till i know i can do it! thnks again!
-Jake