Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cantilever Barrell vs. Bolt-on Sideplate >

Cantilever Barrell vs. Bolt-on Sideplate

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cantilever Barrell vs. Bolt-on Sideplate

Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Cantilever Barrell vs. Bolt-on Sideplate

If a pump-action gun is to be used as a dedicated slugger, which is the more DURABLE option for scope mounting, cantilever barrell or a bolt on sideplate??

Simple question I hope.

If it makes a difference to anyone, the scope WILL not have a magnification over 4x, if even that much.

I'll save the MFR. debates for another time...(btw, I've already decided)
Also, please don't suggest a combo gun, or any dis/advantages ofa comboin relation to my question. The barrell ain't coming off except for major cleaning, end of season. I've got enough shotguns already,but this would be the first one with a scope.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: Cantilever Barrell vs. Bolt-on Sideplate

I've got a cantilever set up and it seems pretty stable, but then again, I've seen some of the saddle mount set ups as well. They seem pretty good as well. I really don't think you will go wrong with either choice as long as you use quality parts and take care of them.
So, what did you choose?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

could always get the receiver drilled and tapped, that's what I did with my 870. It Isn't very expensive (cheaper then the cantilever barrel if you don't have one already) and it is probably the most stable. It would mean you couldn't swap barrels and go bust clays, but you said its a dedicated slugger.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Spike

i would go with a cantilever just because the scope will always be mounted to the barrel and will neverhave to worry about a screw loosening up on a side plate just and throw your sight off just less things to loosen up on you and with a cantilever when you take the barrel off with a side mount the barrel might have alittle movement and you'll have to resight it in IMO
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trouble with a receiver-mounted scope on a take-down shotgun is that every time you remove the barrel and reassemble it, retighten the magazine cap, etc.,you'll change the relationship between the reciever and the barrel. you'll have to re-sight in your scope. Go with a cantilever mount. The scope stays with the barrel.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The trouble with a receiver-mounted scope on a take-down shotgun is that every time you remove the barrel and reassemble it, retighten the magazine cap, etc.,you'll change the relationship between the reciever and the barrel. you'll have to re-sight in your scope. Go with a cantilever mount.
+1
Everything that you say is true. i went with the iron sights and that was the wrong way to go.That barrel will go away at the next community yard sale-at a big loss and then i'll get a cantilever barrel.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM

The problem that I didn't want to run into was buying a bolt-on sideplate and rifled barrell for a shotgun that I already own,thus making the other 1 or 2 barrells for that gun obsolete, as switching out barrells, or dismounting a scope midseason would require re-sighting.

I've got enough shotguns to keep me 'covered' for any game I'd want to hunt, I just don't think that I need 2 perfectly fine barrells sitting around, useless.

I just wasn't sure how well a cantilever system holds up, they just look kinda funny.

With a cant. barrell, I can still keep all guns and all barrells as an option to use.

Might be a good time to buy a new gun!