Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cantilever what is that >

cantilever what is that

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cantilever what is that

Old 11-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default cantilever what is that

i have heard alot about cantilever shotguns what is cantilever what does it mean and what are the pros and cons
Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 AM

Default RE: cantilever what is that

Here is a pic of a cantilever barrel. The cantilever is circled.

The cantilever is a scope mount, mounted on the barrel instead of the receiver. It has several pros about it. You don't have to drill and tap the receiver for scope bases, which could be weak anyways. It is more stable than a saddle mount type system. And the scope stays n the barrel, so if you switch barrels, the scope zero will stay close to where it is. Some people say the zero remains, but that has not been my experience. Variences in barrel nut tightness can move your POI. It will be close, and it may be close enough. But you should still recheck the zero after removing the barrel. Hope this helps some.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

THANKS I THOUGHT IT WAS A SINGLE SHOT THE BROKE AT THE BEGINGING OF THE BARREL LIKE A DOUBLE BARREL DOES
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Here is a pic of a cantilever barrel. The cantilever is circled.

The cantilever is a scope mount, mounted on the barrel instead of the receiver. It has several pros about it. You don't have to drill and tap the receiver for scope bases, which could be weak anyways. It is more stable than a saddle mount type system. And the scope stays n the barrel, so if you switch barrels, the scope zero will stay close to where it is. Some people say the zero remains, but that has not been my experience. Variences in barrel nut tightness can move your POI. It will be close, and it may be close enough. But you should still recheck the zero after removing the barrel. Hope this helps some.
I agree with the above. However, I am a little concerned about that much of the scope mount hanging out the in the air unsupported. I have not had much experience with such rigs, so am not sure if this is a real problem, or that I am just dreaming up a problem where none exists. Perhaps the metal in the mount, and the scope tube together make the rig stiff enough so it will stand up to the rigors of the hunting field. I wonder how it would work if these was a big screw (8/40) tying the rear end of the cantilever bar down tight to the receiver..... Since detachable barrels are free to shift a little in the receiver, that idea might not work. Maybe the cantilever has to be attached to the barrel only, like the scope mount on a Browning .22 auto.....
Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM

THANKS I THOUGHT IT WAS A SINGLE SHOT THE BROKE AT THE BEGINGING OF THE BARREL LIKE A DOUBLE BARREL DOES
That is a barrel for a Remington 1100 which is a semi-automatic shotgun, not a single shot. Cantilever barrels are available for semi-auto and pump action shotguns. I've never seen a true cantilever on anything else.

However, I am a little concerned about that much of the scope mount hanging out the in the air unsupported. I have not had much experience with such rigs, so am not sure if this is a real problem, or that I am just dreaming up a problem where none exists.
I had the same concern before I bought my 1100 slug gun. I have had it for 4 years now, and fired approximately 200 rounds through it. It has never once given me any trouble.I never take the barrel off, and it holds its zero year to year. I just have to verify that the zero is fine, or sight it in if I change slugs.Before I had an 870 Express that had a rifle sighted barrel on it. I had to use one of those saddle mounts on it. It had way too much play in it to be very accurate. And it was made out of light aluminum andI wasn't very confident in it.

[/quote]