Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR kits

Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Default RE: AR kits

Sorry Tobe. It didn't work for me either, although I pulled it straight from my Bookmarks, and that link works fine.

Try typing "del-ton.com" with the cursory "www" up front in your browser's address bar. Their site is live and active as I just checked it.

Edit: the link above now works.

http://www.del-ton.com/

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Hey go to http://www.ar15-kits.com/this is where my uncle ordered mine.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

you can go to brownells web site and they have videos that you can watch that are very good. granted they say that you have to use all of the brownells tools, but they are very good and very clear. im building one at the moment if i can ever get parts out of midway, but she will be born one day. and when that day comes there will be a brighness in the sky. from the big grin that i will have on my face. good luck to you and may your build go well.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

you can go to brownells web site and there are videos that you can watch that are very good. that is how i built my lower. as soon as Uncle Sweets sends me some tax $ im gonna get the goodies for my upper half and finish her up. you can build your lower with minimal tools, just be sure that when you install your trigger guard, you support the bottom side of the lower so you dont break off the off side ear. and for the record, it is easy to build the lower. you will need a few special tools to install the barrel and hold the upper receiver but if you enjoy building one ar, you will need them to build the rest of the ar's that you will build later.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Brownells AR Build Step- By- Step...FREE!!

Click on the first one for a complete How To or just sroll down part by part.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/newsletterarchive.aspx?x=v
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM

AR-15.com has links to videos and pictures of how to put them together.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1103
This free online video series will walk you through building a rifle. You just need the right tools, which they tell you what they are as they go along. The AR is the only rifle I know of that you could disasemble a pile of them mix the parts all up and assemble with different parts and get basically the same results out of every rifle, given they were the same to start with.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/kits_all.html
This is the highest quality low priced place I have found. The kits and uppers are double star. Do a search on them to review their quality. I have never seen a bad comment about the brand. Actually most claim it is the best brand for a quality kit. Some put it on par with Larue Tactical and Rock River. I own neither so don't know personally.

On 300 lb hogs a winchester power point 64 gr 223 will cleanly kill to 300 yards if you are an experienced shooter. If you would like to have a little more leeway and be able to hunt deer with it as well look into the 6.8 remington spc. It is more than adequate to 300 yards. It has a very similar trajectory to the 223, just a 115 gr bullet. They are factory loaded as well.

Truthefully If you want that kind of power in a semi I would recommend you axe the ar idea and go with the fn fal, cetme or hk 91 . All offered in 308. Some of the new hk 91 are offered in .243 and 260 rem. These guys may be able to give you a recent update but 5 or 6 years ago the ar10 was an unreliable dog. I played around with a new one for about a year trying to get it to cycle reliably and finally gave up after sinking a lot of money into it. This was armalite which is a very good brand. Now more brands have it out maybe they worked the bugs out.

I am not trying to discourage you at all. Every one of my centerfire hunting rigs is an AR. They are in 17 rem, 5.56mm, 257 wssm, 6.8 spc and 50 beuwulf uppers. I only own 2 lowers. One is a long range platform, the other for the standard weight barrels. I have taken elk and moose with the 50 and 257 uppers. Deer, hogs, sheep and pronghorn with the 5.56s, 257 and 6.8. Actually 1 small elk with the 6.8 at 75 yards as well. He was injured so I dipatched him for the table since he wouldn't have survived the winter. It was 1 clean shot but I do not promote using that for elk hunting. Neither do I a 223 for deer unless the person is an excellent shot and the circumstances are perfect.
Blessings