Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Springfield XD or Ruger SR9??? >

Springfield XD or Ruger SR9???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield XD or Ruger SR9???

Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Springfield XD or Ruger SR9???

Alright, I have narrowed it down to two handguns. I dont exactly know all of the specs on them though. I do know that I liked how both of them felt in my hand. I am wanting to buy a handgun for home protection and so I have a sidearm out in the field. Which gun do most of yall prefer, SR9 or XD???

Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Springfield XD or Ruger SR9???

As much as I love rugers,and even knowing the ruger is american made,if it was me,I'd go with the springfield in a heartbeat. Two reasons-1st is the simple reason that the XD comes in the .45 acp that's been proven and well documented in actual battle/combat/defense situations. There's NO WAY anybody is going to convince me that a 9mm will perform as well as .45acp. Yes,I realize 9mm bullets in recent years have came a dramatically long way towards reliable defense round,especially in premium bullets driven at +P pressures,but with .45acp with +P pressure loads and premium bullets,there's no contest. In the design of the XD,recoil WON'T be a issue-even for your wife. Also,.45acp ammo is cheaper(slightly) than the .40s&w "middle road" but if you mostly want to be able to shoot economically,then the 9mm is for you.
As to the other reason,the XD is well proven in design as to behighly reliable,sturdy,reasonably accurate,and fairly priced.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have a XD-M and I like it lot but you said just and XD there I would have to go with the SR9.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

x3 on the XD!

I have the XD 9mm service model. It's a great little pistol. I've never had a malfunction with the cheap ball ammo to the wide-mouth Federal Hydra-Shoks (my defensive ammo of choice). The grip is comfortable and the controls are well placed and easy to use. I also like that there is no manual safety (although the XD is offered with a manual safety now as an option). It has a grip safety like the 1911, with the trigger safety of the Glock, in addition to a firing pin block activated by the trigger when fully pulled. Simple to use. I traded a Glock 21 for this pistol several years ago because I found the Glock to be uncomfortable to shoot. I didn't like the grip angle or width (too steep and too wide), so even with my large hands it didn't point well for me, and it was WAY too large for my wife to handle well. My wife also didn't care for the recoil of the .45acp, but she is very recoil sensitive. Many women have no problems with a 45, especially a full sized "service" model. But I did like the Glock Safe-Action system, and it's no-matter-what reliability, so this is what attracted me to the XD. I love the pistol.

I put a M6 tactical light/laser on the frame rail. So if something goes down when I'm gone, my wife can positively ID the threat, put the dot on the bad guy and pull the trigger until he goes down. Point-n-Click... no forgetting or fumbling for a safety when you're groggy, scared, the adrenaline's pumping, and you're staring down a charging meth junky with a knife and a nothing-to-lose attitude.

Mike

Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

XD all the way! I've had problems with two of their revolvers, never trusted their centerfire autos, and Ruger seems to be prone to recalls. Never had a problem like that with Springfield. Nothing but shot after shot full on performance.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 AM

X5 for the XD.

Stalkingbear was right about the rounds also. I do not trust a 9mm round to save my life. I do have a 9mm loaded with +P rounds(Was also informed by Remington that +P rounds are not for polymer framed pistols) in my shirt drawer just incase. But my main protection gun is a XD40 Sub Compact(3" Barrel). I also have a XD45 Compact(4" Barrel) that my dad uses for protection. You can tell by looking at mine it has been through alot. Its only about 6 months old and is scratched and dinged all over.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishin13rocks

Alright, I have narrowed it down to two handguns. I dont exactly know all of the specs on them though. I do know that I liked how both of them felt in my hand. I am wanting to buy a handgun for home protection and so I have a sidearm out in the field. Which gun do most of yall prefer, SR9 or XD???
I'm not a huge fan of the XD's but in this case I must agree with the others and give it a solid nod. The SR9 is still too new and unproven to trust it with you and your family's life, IMHO.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Reliability is EVERYTHING (more so than accuracy, especially at self-defense engagement ranges) and given those two, I'd go with the XD.

Now break it in properly, then put at least 100 rounds of your selected defense - hollowpoint through it to make sure if feeds 100% (not all guns like all hollowpoints), and you're good-to-go.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

XD all the way

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

XD. They really have got that one right. It even has a little better ergo than the Glock. I have had no problems, concerns or wants other than night sights and maybe it could be narrower.

Quick Reply: Springfield XD or Ruger SR9???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.