Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Questions about modifying Rem700s >

Questions about modifying Rem700s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions about modifying Rem700s

Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default Questions about modifying Rem700s

How difficult is it to put a new stock on a Remington 700? Is it a do-it-yourself screws and bolts type of thing, or would I need to pay a gunsmith to do it? Does a gun lose any value if it has a new stock put on it if it is replaced with a similar stock?(I don't see how anyone could tell if it matched the factory stock) What if it was a wood stock and it gets replaced with a synthetic?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Questions about modifying Rem700s

Not sure what version of the Model 700 you have. It's a very easy operation on a 700 ADL. I replaced my laminated stock with a synthetic a while back. If I recall it was just two screws, one by the trigger guard and one on the forearm portion of the stock. You should re-sight your scope afterwards. My point of impact moved a couple inches. Not sure about change in value. It costs more to buy a wood stock version than a synthetic. I just set my laminated stock aside, and if I ever sell the rifle, it'll go as part of the package. But.... I don't ever plan to sell it...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Spike

Well, I am looking at a 700 BDL, but it looks like there is a pin through the stock for the action so I was wondering. The reason I ask is I am the gun has a small crack in it.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

IF you get a 100%, fully inletted stock for the rifle, it is just the same as ytaking the gun apart and reassembling it using the stock that it came with! IF you use a semi-inletted stock, you will have to remove some wood here & there in the inletting to get it together. But you'd have a better fit that way, if you can do the work or know someone who can!

The gun has a crack - where is the crack? In the wood? or what?? Picture?? Pin? You mean that little brass pin from one side to the other? That is justa reinforcement for the wood. It does noat touch any metal inside. You disassemble the 700 by removing the two "guard screws"......then take out the barreled action from the top, and the trigger guard assembly out the bottom. Then remove the magazine box from its recess.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Spike

Not disassembled I am looking at buying the gun for a real good price, but I needed to know if I could afford to replace the stock. The crack is in the stock on the right side between the bolt and trigger sort of. I would not shoot a gun with a crack in any metal that had to do with the action.

I could fit it myself, but I needed to know if it was about as easy as a 10/22 to replace. I didn't want to mess with glass bedding myself although I do have a friend that might could do it for me. Thank you vary much eldeguello and ipscshooter.

I have another Q. How difficult is it to put a jewel trigger in one of these? How do I tell which model (i.e. adl, bdl, cdl) it is? Are there any do-it-yourself upgrades to a 700 that are safe and usefull?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's extremely easy to replace stock on a remington 700 of any flavor as long as you go back with exactly same configuration. The main thing IF you're concerned with optimum accuracy tho is to glass and/or pillar bed it. As far as fitting an aftermarket trigger,why not get your local gunsmith to rework the existing factory trigger? They can be tuned to be mighty sweet utilizing only factory parts and maybe a spring kit. As for installing a new trigger yourself,I would HIGHLY reccomend you get a gunsmith to do it UNLESS you have very good understanding of the dimensions/angles/measurements so that it'll be SAFELY installed/fitted/adjusted to your optimum pull weight,overtravel,takeup,and amount of engagement. It's something that a couple thousands of an inch can mean the difference between a dream trigger and an unsafe nightmare. Many people have installed triggers themselves so if you do decide to install it yourself,read all the instructions THOROUGHLY before even starting work on it.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Spike

Well what kind of money should I expect to pay for a good trigger job? Also would I lose any value to have a stock that is different than the factory one if I was looking to trade for a different hunting gun.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepdude1987

Well what kind of money should I expect to pay for a good trigger job? Also would I lose any value to have a stock that is different than the factory one if I was looking to trade for a different hunting gun.
Depends on the stock brand. There are many different stock s outthere you can get another remington stock fromt he factory, you can get a cheap stock online or go for a McMillan, B&C, Etc. which can set you back a couple hundred bucks. Take a look here.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=9&cate goryId=18263&categoryString=10636***10560***91 43***11370***11446***16104***

As for the trigger a jewell will cost you but to have a gunsmith rework on for you will be $35 to $60 bucks most likely.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Spike

Well I was looking at Midways stuff, but I was also looking at a minorly blemished stock on ebay that I would be able to fix with just a bit of elbow grease, but I would have/want to convert it to a box magazine if I did this. Would converting to that be OK if I end up not liking the gun and need to trade for something better for me? I would have a bit under $400 or so in it after all this; could I get it back assuming the action and such are in proper order?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would work just fine to change/fit that stock you're talking about. The nice thing about it is now you'll have a good action and stock so if you later decide to change calibers,all you'll need is to change barrels-sticking with same case head diameter and gunsmith installed of course.

Quick Reply: Questions about modifying Rem700s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.