Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Questions about modifying Rem700s >

Questions about modifying Rem700s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions about modifying Rem700s

Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about modifying Rem700s

ORIGINAL: jeepdude1987

Well what kind of money should I expect to pay for a good trigger job? Also would I lose any value to have a stock that is different than the factory one if I was looking to trade for a different hunting gun.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

Nothing, you can do it yourself. Very easy.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, every one is making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Yes, buy the gun and then buy a replacement stock for it. Remove the rifle from the old stock by unscrewing the action screws and put the rifle into the new stock and screw it back together. It's that simple.

There are piles of drop in, screw it togetherstocks for the Remington 700. Factory Remington synthetic stocks sell for less than $100 in black or camo, Boyds, Hogue, HS precision, McMillan,etc... You can even look out on Ebay and get a used wood BDL stock for less than $40 or $50.

There are really only two things that you need to know.

The first is what kind of 700 you have and you already know that. You said BDL. That simply means that you have a hinged floor plate on the bottomso you would want to buy one that is machined for this floor plate. BDL, CDL, SPS are all the same as far as the stock is concerned.

The second is determine if it is a long or short action. 243, 7mm-08, 308, WSM's, etc... are all short action cartridges. .270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, etc... are all long actions. Purchase a stock that will fit which ever one of the two lengths you have.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Man, every one is making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Yes, buy the gun and then buy a replacement stock for it. Remove the rifle from the old stock by unscrewing the action screws and put the rifle into the new stock and screw it back together. It's that simple.

There are piles of drop in, screw it togetherstocks for the Remington 700. Factory Remington synthetic stocks sell for less than $100 in black or camo, Boyds, Hogue, HS precision, McMillan,etc... You can even look out on Ebay and get a used wood BDL stock for less than $40 or $50.

There are really only two things that you need to know.

The first is what kind of 700 you have and you already know that. You said BDL. That simply means that you have a hinged floor plate on the bottomso you would want to buy one that is machined for this floor plate. BDL, CDL, SPS are all the same as far as the stock is concerned.

The second is determine if it is a long or short action. 243, 7mm-08, 308, WSM's, etc... are all short action cartridges. .270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, etc... are all long actions. Purchase a stock that will fit which ever one of the two lengths you have.
+1

I see Rem 700 stocks every time I go to gun shows. Most can be purchased for under $50.00. If you are getting a good deal on the rifle, buy it and get another stock from a gun show or on e-bay (as mentioned). The fancy stocks will cost you more but the basic 700 stock is not that expensive at all (used).

Good luck!