Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 synthetic stocks >

synthetic stocks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

synthetic stocks

Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Default synthetic stocks

I have a remington 700 30-06 with a syn. stock any ideas for adding weight, or how much? any info would be appreciated, thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: synthetic stocks

Some synthetic stocks have a hollow cavity in the buttstock behind the recoil pad into which you could insert one of the mercury recoil reducers (most of which weigh between 1/2 to 1lb.) marketed for shotguns. Or you could fill it with your desired amount of lead shot and then fill the empty space with some of that expanding foam spray insulation. I've also seen synth stocks that have hollow space in the fore end which could also be filled with lead shot and epoxy. Why do you want to add weight?

Mike

Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 PM

I want to add weight because it's front end heavy and KICKS LIKE A SON OF A GUN. LOL
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then I'd remove the recoil pad and see if it has a cavity in the buttstock and add a little shot there.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Well I don't have any shot laying around but I do have a bunch of lead fishing weights and so rags to wrap them in to keep them from rattling, Do you think this will help with the kick? I also have a 06 with a solid wood stock and I don't belive it kicks near as hard.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, you could use the sinkers. I'd probably use something other than rags to hold them in place and prevent rattling. I suggested the expanding foam insulation because it will completely fill the void space and hardens very firm, but will allow the overflow to be neatly trimmed to make a very clean job. Once the recoil pad were reinstalled you won't ever know it was done, and won't have to worry about the sinkers or shot coming loose sometime later forcing you to redo the job later.

Mike

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Does it have one of the newer R3 recoil pads? Those do very well in keeping recoil down. Otherwise yeah some weight in the buttstock, however you get it there, will help with the recoil and balance. Beyond that, Mag-na-Port is a reliable choice without being so obnoxious as most muzzle breaks.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd add the weight first, which will certainly decrease recoil proportionally to the amount of weight added. As for having the barrel Magna Ported, that would be my last choice. Not only will it significantly increase the muzzleblast, but it also effectively shortens the barrel to where the first port is located, which will cause you to lose muzzle velocity. If adding 1/2 to 1lb of weight still doesn't make the recoil tolerable, I'd consider buying a rifle chambered in a lighter recoiling cartridge. Some people are just more recoil sensitive than others, and the .30-06 might be a little too much for him.

Mike

Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Thank you all for info. It has been very helpful and welcome. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS SEASON!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to the excellent suggestion of using your sinkers with foam insulation,I'd DEFINITELY get a sims limbsaver recoil pad. Another thing which will reduce recoil is lighter weight bullet loads such as 150 gr bullets instead of 180s. Both remington and federal offer reduced recoil loadings for your rifle and are plenty deadly at ranges within 200 yards-they will reduce recoil by about 1/2-about like a .243.

Quick Reply: synthetic stocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.