Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question for Woodseye! >

Question for Woodseye!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question for Woodseye!

Old 04-01-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Question for Woodseye!

How well does your 16FSS shoot at the range? What bullet do you like to use the most in it? What weight is your trigger pull and is there any creep at all? I' ve been able to get both of my factory 10FP' s down to 3.25 lbs. with no creep. That seems to be fine for hunting to me. I' m not sure how the gloves would work on the AccuTrigger but in my case I' ve got the camo-mittens that let you slide your fingers out of without taking them off. Very handy! If you can get yours down to the same weight approx. I may not wait till the AccuTrigger comes out. I guesssss ya wouldn' t be wantin to sell her would ya?
Old 04-01-2003, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Question for Woodseye!

OK heres my answers,the 16fss shoots well from the bench as long as you let the barrel cool after about every 8-10 shots.Strangely enough it shoots some of the tightest groups with winchester power points(3/4" ) and only shoots 1-1 1/4" groups with the nosler paritions, I like to use for my deer hunting.My trigger pull is 3# with no creep,I can send you trigger adjustment info but it sounds like you' ve already got it under control.I like the looks of the new accu trigger but don' t know how long if ever, before they put them in the 11' s and 16" s.I did wonder how the accu trigger would work with gloves on and would expect you would have to keep it set up at least to 3-4# because of less sensitivity in your fingers,but I' ve never used one for hunting so I really don' t know for sure.The trigger has three different adjustments so you can pretty much remove all creep and still lower safely to about 3 1/2#.I come a half turn back from sear release and then bring down the spring pressure slowly to desired pull weight.A thinner piece of piano wire can lower pressure even more if desired,but is not necessary for a hunting rifle IMO.Lastly, no I would never consider selling my 16 as its my favorite rifle and it will go to my son at some point down the road.Oddly enough my boys 11f in 7mm-08 will outshoot mine and he kids me about it,but at least mine never rusts when hunting in wet weather some times day after day.I want a 12fvss in 223 with the accu trigger to check out but maybe next year as my eye is on a McMilian stock for my 16 right now as the next purchase.Hope this helped and you get the savage you want.Good Hunting and Shooting!

woods
Old 04-02-2003, 08:34 AM

Default RE: Question for Woodseye!

Thanks Woodseye, some excellent information. You have fueled my desire to own still another Savage rifle!