Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M-1: does the US military still issue this? >

M-1: does the US military still issue this?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M-1: does the US military still issue this?

Old 04-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default M-1: does the US military still issue this?

I was watching CNN and saw a quick clip close up of some urban fighting saw what appeared to be a M-1 Garrand in a GI hands. I didn' t think the US has use the M-1 since Vietnam when the M-16 was introduced.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:29 PM

Default RE: M-1: does the US military still issue this?

Are you sure it wasn' t a M-14? Several groups still use the good ol' M-14.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:33 PM

No. The U.S. Military doesn' t use them anymore. I got the following from a website about the Garand:

The M1 Garand Rifle is best known for its role as the United States Armed Forces' main battle rifle during World War Two and Korea. The M1 also saw service in Vietnam, especially during the early years, until it was replaced by the M14 and the M16. Indeed the ruggedness and ' real' appearance of the Garand Rifle made it a favorite of many soldiers and even 40 plus years after it was replaced, many still consider the M1 superior to the ' plastic fantastic' guns that supplanted it.

Enjoy!

-Hector
Old 04-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

It was without a doubt a carbine of some type. The photo I have seen several times was very clear and close. Is the M-14 a carbine?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m betting it was an M-14, they put a new barrel shroud on them so they look an awful lot like the old Garands at a glance. I think you saw this because most of the activity that is being taped is Marine action, and USMC still uses the M-14 as much if not more than the M-16 in a lot of instances.

If it is " without a doubt a carbine" , then it sure isn' t a Garand! DId it have a visible magazine below the belly? how about the flash-surpressor/compensator? I' m not for sure but if I recall the 30 Carbine M-1 saw less of a campaign than the M-1 Garand, so I' m sure it isn' t an M-1 Carbine.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:36 PM

The M-14 can be a carbine though I never carried one, I only carried a regular ol' M-14. The Marines and Navy both use this wonderful weapon especially in special groups such as sniper teams, special boats, special forces and also the Fleet still uses them for shipboard security. I used to love when some Grunt or Flat foot would look at my M-14 and say " What the heck?!?" Used to get some good looks also during the first war in Iraq, we were carrying 1911' s to their M2' s. Wasnt' a problem until we got delivered 9mm for our pistols []
Old 04-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

It did have a short clip about 3" , I don' t recall what the barrel end looked like.
P.S. Did a search on the M-14 for a photo, and found one, it must of been a M-14.