Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help >

Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help

Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help

Two years in a row hunting in cold temps. (25 deg. and chill factor) the rifle has misfired first cartridge, fired normally the second cartridge. Inspection of recovered misfires shows firing pin struck but indentation was about half of what it should be.

Last year when I got home I took it to the range and fired 15 rounds....no problems. This year I cleaned and inspected the gun thoroughly before using but it misfired first round.

I'm thinking the cold temps. are a factor but I know that Model 700s are used in much colder weather than this. Any of you gun experts heard of this?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help

It has nothing to do with the cold. I'm no gun smith by any means, but you have a problem and it needs to go to the smith. I have 4 Rem 700's and have never had a misfire. I've killed deer and elk in tempratures as low as 10 below. Somebody may say different, but my advice is take it to the GS. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Before you go to the smith - lets try something simple. If you don't have any, go to any auto parts store or Walmart and get a can of degreaser or carb. cleaner. Remove the bolt from the rifle. If you don't know how to disassemble the bolt here is the link (go to page 14) http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_7700710.pdf
Once disassembled, spray it down with the degreaser/cleaner and wipe dry. Lightly oil with Remoil or some other quality gun oil and reassemble.
My suspicion is that you bolt is freezing up a little in the cold but not enough to lock it up completely. Your first shot 'breaks the ice' so to speak and allows the firing pin to move freely on sucessive shots.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was going to recommend something like bronko did...

clean the firing pin assembly and spring...degrease it and whip it down with a reallll light coat of good gun oil...LIGHT coat...you dont want it heavy...just enough to keep it from rusting...i whip mine down with oil, then whip it back down real good with a clean cloth...oil collects dirt and grim and such....

and if it was wet, snowing, or condensation, it could been freezing on you...

common practice at many PA deer camps is to leave your rifle outside....(safely and secure of course)

this does a couple things....scope wont fog from going from warm camp to cold outdoors...and condensation wont happen from the same thing on metal parts....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 PM

Had this EXACT same thing happen on a deer some 10 yrs back. Was a 700 LSS 7mm RM. Handloaded ammo, I thought at first I may have contaminated a primer or something. But on later inspection, only a very light pin strike was on the primer. Stripped the bolt completely, cleaned and de-greased the whole deal and went with a dry film lube...Sentry Tuff-Guard I believe. Never another issue. Cartridge fired fine later at the range, and yes I got the deer...228 yrds out so the snap wasn't an issue thank goodness.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Ive never had a problem with mine, But I keep it extremely clean.. I love that gun...do as they said and give it a good cleaning. then try it again, if it works. clean it again! Always keep your guns clean!
-Jake
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oil on or in a bolt is unnecessary, unless you are storing it for a long time.
Degrease, and then wipe it down bone dry. If you must have some oil on it for your own piece of mind just wipe it down with a rag with a trace of oit on it. Better yet give it a spray with a dry lube and then wipe it anyway with a dry rag.
Cold temps and oil don't play well together in a bolt.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you take it to the gunsmith try this,Buy a can of Gunscrubber areosol.Put the little red tube on it squirt it in the firing pin hole let it run out of the back of the bolt .This might work .
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM
DM

With all the winter hunting i did in Alaska, it taught me to tear my guns down, (including 700 bolts)clean/degrease them with Breakfree, then wipe the excess off. I then put them back together and never had a problem, no matter how cold it got. I'm still lubeing withBreakFree on all of my guns, and i'm still happy with it.

DM
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Get a bolt disassembly tool. Remove bolt, remove firing pin shroud with tool. Firing pin and spring assy will pull out as one unit. Clean with gun scrubber, etc. Use a swab or brush to clean the inside of the bolt, gun scrubber here too. Clean bolt face and firing pin hole. Reinstall firing pin assy into bolt. Use too to reinstall shroud. Reinstall bolt assy into gun... should be all better...

Quick Reply: Rem. Model 700 problem.....need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.