Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 17 hm2 vs 17 hmr >

17 hm2 vs 17 hmr

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 hm2 vs 17 hmr

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 17 hm2 vs 17 hmr

It's my opinion that hornady used EXCELLENT marketing strategy when introducing the .17 hmr before the .17 hm2. Imo they are too close to need both,2550 fps for the hmr vs 2100 fps for the hm2 (factory specs). If hornady had introduced the .17 hm2 first,there would be a LOT less .17 hmr sold,especially due to the fact that the .17 hm2 will fit in any action designed for the .22LR,whereas the .17hmr requires a .22 magnum length action. Also the hm2 is cheaper in costs compared to the hmr. Of course both the .22 magnum AND the .17 hmr pale in comparsion to the recently reintroduced (loaded ammo) 5mm remington magnum as far as overall versatility. What do YALL think?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 17 hm2 vs 17 hmr

Thanks rr,yeah I attest and verify the fact about larger game is too big for them. In fact,1/2 of the coyotes I've seen shot with the .17 hmr ran off and of the 1s we found later,the bullets were perfectly placed. Just hitting a rib on yotes exploded the tiny bullets. Some of the yotes that ran off looked weird as they had a saucer sized patch of hide knocked off.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 17 hm2 vs 17 hmr

I bailed off the 17HMR train when the ammo doubled andhit $14 a box. As much as I liked it and witht he little Savage being the most accurate gun in the cabinet I got an offer I couldnt resist and sent it down the road..lol. Made a decent profit on the gun...