Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget? >

What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget?

Basically I'm seriously and I mean very seriously thinking about selling my Browning BAR 30-06 due to not being able to get it to group well at all. So my question is what kind is a good one to get if I do sell it and upgrade? I think I want to keep it under $700 or so. This needs to be with a scope mount and rings but not with a scope as I already have a scope to put on there. I would like a semi auto again but don't have to have it. More important than anything is I want something that groups tightly together not something that is going to make 3" groups at 100 yards. I would like it to be wood stock but that is also not a requirement.

My other requirement is that it must be a new. I do not ever want to buy a used gun again. Or used anything else for that matter.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget?

How many kinds of ammo have you tried in the BAR? How many different bullet weights have you experimented with?Your riflemay just like a different diet than you've been feeding it. For instance, my '06 will shoot all 165 grain factory ammo better than 180's, 150's, or 220's. In the 165 grain range, though, some ammo shoots far, far better than others.

However, if you're decided on getting a new rifle, I'd suggest stopping by your local store(s) and shouldering as many rifles as you can. When you find one that speaks to you,you can check it out on gunbroker.com, et. al., and type-inthe model # and ".30-06" in the search function. Then you'll have to sort through to see which are "factory new", and which are used. Remember to figure-in the shipping fee, and your store's transfer fee to the total cost. Your local store may end up being just as competitive.

FC
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of group are you getting? Frankly I'msomewhat skockedas I've never seen an inaccurate bar. have you went thru all the basics? Scope rings/mounts tight,ammo change as already mentioned,benchrest form? Have you talked with browning about this? The bar has the rep of being the most accurate of all the bigger centerfire (sporting) semiautos.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once had a BAR, in .308 Win. It would place the first two rounds close together, and the third & subsequent shots would walk away. However, I have heard that the BAR's are accurate, good rifles. Maybe your problem could be cured by finding the right ammo?

Anyway, if you want to replace it with a rifle having more potential to be accurate, I suggest a good bolt action.

Savages have a good rep. for accuracy, as have the Weatherby Vanguards-the latter carry an accuracy guarantee.....
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hitting all over a 8" target. One shot will be in the bullseye the next with be 3" high or low and 3" to the right or left and then the next shot will be in the opposite direction. Not everytime but most of the time. It's just all over the 8" target. At 50 yards I can hit the same hole half the time but at 100 yards it just is like it's spraying bullets everywhere. I don't know what's up with it. I thought it was me pulling as a buddy has a way better vise than I but only has a setup for 50 yards and it will hit the same hole one after another with Winchester Silvertips. However, I can't get it to do that at 100 yards so I thought I was pulling until 2days ago a buddy whom is a lot better shot than me tried to help me sight it in and had the same issue. He'd hit the bullseye once or twice then all over the place. Yes, we are letting it cool down. He thought something was wrong with the gun too.

As for ammo I was trying to sight it in using 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. I tried Winchester classic Silvertips(These do amazing at 50 yards but can't get it to do that at 100), Winchester Power Points in 150 grain, Winchester Soft Points in 165 grain, Remington Core Lockts in 165 grain, and Fusion in's 150 grain. The Fusions after I got it sighted in got about a 2" group yesterday then I ran out of bullets. If I can get it to do that again I would be happy with it but I'm going to get more and see.

I had a guy at one gunshop tell me he had a BAR and it did exactly what I was talking about with factory loads but that this shot awesome if he handloaded ammo. Since I don't reload that's out of hte option.

I got a offer for $500 for the gun so I'm very seriously considering selling it. However, if I can get it to shoot decently I'd rather keep it as I really like the gun.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I'm hitting all over a 8" target. One shot will be in the bullseye the next with be 3" high or low and 3" to the right or left and then the next shot will be in the opposite direction. Not everytime but most of the time. It's just all over the 8" target. At 50 yards I can hit the same hole half the time but at 100 yards it just is like it's spraying bullets everywhere. I don't know what's up with it. I thought it was me pulling as a buddy has a way better vise than I but only has a setup for 50 yards and it will hit the same hole one after another with Winchester Silvertips. However, I can't get it to do that at 100 yards so I thought I was pulling until 2days ago a buddy whom is a lot better shot than me tried to help me sight it in and had the same issue. He'd hit the bullseye once or twice then all over the place. Yes, we are letting it cool down. He thought something was wrong with the gun too.

As for ammo I was trying to sight it in using 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. I tried Winchester classic Silvertips(These do amazing at 50 yards but can't get it to do that at 100), Winchester Power Points in 150 grain, Winchester Soft Points in 165 grain, Remington Core Lockts in 165 grain, and Fusion in's 150 grain. The Fusions after I got it sighted in got about a 2" group yesterday then I ran out of bullets. If I can get it to do that again I would be happy with it but I'm going to get more and see.

I had a guy at one gunshop tell me he had a BAR and it did exactly what I was talking about with factory loads but that this shot awesome if he handloaded ammo. Since I don't reload that's out of hte option.

I got a offer for $500 for the gun so I'm very seriously considering selling it. However, if I can get it to shoot decently I'd rather keep it as I really like the gun.
What do you mean by "vice"?? IF you are really shooting from a vice, that could be your problem!

Try using a sandbag rest under the forearm, with a folded towel (soft item) between the forend and the sandbag!

Make sure your bore is clean, and that ALL the scope mounting and other screws are tight!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bore is clean. Well, was yesterday not the day before. Scope mounts are also tight.

I'm using a shooting vise that holds it still as I can't hold it still without one and don't have sandbags.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to switch rifles, check out Tikka and Savage. They would be my picks in no particular order. The Tikka claims 1" 3 shots guarranteed.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that had the same problem with a Winchester model 70 and he tried everything.
Probably something that was missed from the factory, it does happen??!!

I couldn't get my rem. 700 mtn rifle (.270) to group with the Winchester 140 gr. silver tip boat tails.
After I switched to a different load everything was good.
As someone suggested above, that could be the fix?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
MagnumMan308

Send it back to Browning, they will make it right, and they will make it group, factory standard for an '06 BAR is 1.5" at 100. The best part is they wont charge you a dime, and turn around time is quick.

I sent the 1993 MK1 BAR I bought used in for this exact problem, and they sent it back with a 1"shortened,re-crowned barrel, and a new hand-fitted forearm,it is nowa tackdriver, the best part was they sent the test targets and the info on the loads they used as well.

Quick Reply: What kind of 30-06 is best for my budget?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.