Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Chasing Zero >

Chasing Zero

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Chasing Zero

Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chasing Zero

I was at the range yesterday.Hard to fit in range time with archery practice and archery hunting this time of year.
While there I was observing and trying to lend a hand tactfully to an older gentleman who was sighting in,in preparation for our rifle season.He shot quickly without enough set up in my opinion and I was helping him track his shots with my spotting scope.I would tell him where he was hitting and then he would make scope adjustments,never having shot two shots at the same adjustment.
I wanted to offer to take a shot for him but I didn't want to insult him,there is a fine line with helping someone versus insulting someone.I truly thought though that it would be a good idea.I am not the greatest shot in the world but I am a lot more methodical.I never did offer for fear of insulting.
The last shot he took printed a inch low and two inches right,no second shot no tweaking further,good enough the gentleman says and in the case the rifle goes.
Any one else have a hard time with this?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chasing Zero

While i like to sight in my guns in very carefully, accuracy ain't all of it. Being a good hunter counts forat least asmuch as fine accuracy.

The very bestand most consistent muzzleloader hunter i know comes to the range with his gun once a year in the fall and firestwo tofour shots at 100 yards. If thebullets fall in the 6" bullhe stops and goes home. That man is a superb hunter: Every year he gets his trophy antelope, trophy white tail buck, trophy mule deer buck and trphy bull elk.He kills a couple dozen wild hogs a year.The manhas his very own home butcher shop complete with walk in freezer and walk in cooler.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you Falcon. There is more to being an excellent hunter than being fanatical about your equipment.So I get that.I guess for me it is about acceptable levels.When my equipment is precise it provides additional confidence.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot at least one day a week at a public range untill this year and had to move to a club range because they closed the public range down.
I have found that 99% are glad to get help and really appreciate help.But there is a few that get upset if you offer help.
One day a young fellow set up beside me,he had only put up a target at 300 yds.He shot a couple rounds and started cussing because he didn't hit the target.I suggested he back up and offered for him to shoot one of my targets at 100 yds to see where it was hitting.He got mad packed up his stuff and left.
Over the years I have had a lot of fellows to ask me for help.And I really injoy helping if I can.
Year before last a fellow came up to me in town and asked if I remembered him,I really couldn't and he said I had helped him at the range and he had went somewhere out west and got 2 deer,the first deer he had gotten after several years of hunting.He was tickled and it made me feel good that I had helped him.
You meet all kinds of people at a public range,I can tell lots of stories about some that I have met at the range.
One morning I got to the range and there was a man and his wife there,I asked if it was ok for me to put some targets out and he said it was ok he was finished.He and his wife walked out to the 100 yd target with me and he said he just couldn't understand why his new 270wsm wouldn't hit closer to the bulleye,he had shot a box of bullets.I asked if he had turned the turrets.He asked what that was.
I haven't been shot for asking someone if they wanted help but sure have gotten some great Thank Yous for offering.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

i often help folks at the range. You cansometimes tell by the guys demeanor whether he is receptive to an offer of help or not: Most guys will accept help when offered; there are exceptions; offered to help two Army guys sight in their 12 gauge rifled barrel shotgun on the Ft. Sill range.Advised themnot to shoot rifled slugs in that barrel. They declined my advice and i watched them fire about 60 rounds of rifled slugs through the bore of that gun. Accuracy got worse and worse as the barrel leaded up.

Many years ago i helped an old man sight in his borrowed .30-06: He was an executive at Halliburton and wasretired military. He had drawn a bull elk permit at the Wildlife Refuge. We got his gun dialed in nicely and he called to thank me after he killed his 7x7 elk. Makes one feel good.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

One fall, I was working in a gun shop in Las Vegas, New Mexico (The GOOD Las Vegas, not Sin City!!)

One of my duties was selling hunting licenses. (Just observing the folks who bought the licenses was enough to keep you out of the woods during open season!!)

In adddion, I got to do some basic sighting in of customers' rifles. Of course, they were all told to go to the range before hunting, and make the final adjustments for themselves, as no-one sees their sight picture the same way as another person! Few did!!

One of the local guys of Hispanic extraction came in with "my grandfather's thirty-thirty" to have it sighted in. Let me describe said .30/30. It was an original M94 RIFLE with 26" barrel. It had the original sights, and was polished bright. The stock looked for all the world like a piece of a cedar fence post, which I am sure it was. No finish at all. In addition, you could grip the rifle around the receiver, and shake it. The barrel threads were so loose, the barrelflopped up & down at least an inch at the muzzle. In addition, I was able to insert a .30/30 cartride bullet-first all the way into the muzzle. Very loose fit!!

I opened the breech, and inserted a cleaning patch to reflect the light so I could examine the bore. But all I could see was a black, circular hole, no lands/grooves visible inside. There may have been some, but you couldn't see any!

Well, we offered him $20.00 for it on trade for a new M94 carbine. Nope-it was grandaddy's rifle, etc. In those says, we sold M94's for $87.50, so he could have had a new one for a mere $67.50 additional. All he wanted was for us to sight it in for him, "and do a good job". After all, he'd killed a mulie at 700 yards with it last season!! (Honest!!!)

I was afraid to try to fire it like it was. So the boss removed the barrel, built up the threaded portion with a little arc-welding, and recut the barrel threads. After the barrel was re-installed, darned if the thing didn't keep all shots in a 12" circle at 100 yards!!